Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Moving Windows?

by peeeb / January 7, 2006 1:19 AM PST

Hi,

I don?t know if you can help at all?

I am running Windows XP Pro and its installed onto a very full C:/ drive (20gb) which also has a lot of programs on.

I also have a second hard drive H:/ (120gb) which I store all my files on and all programs I have been successful in moving!

What I really need to do is have Windows on my H drive so it has much more room to play with and is not constricted so much, then I will have enough room with Windows gone to defrag the C drive or maybe format it and sort it out so then I can have programs on C and Window and files on H or something like that.

My question is, what is the best and least destructive way to get windows from C to H.
I do have the disc for Windows if this helps?

Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving Windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving Windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Regarding Moving Windows
by Kono Kusotare / January 7, 2006 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: Moving Windows?

You have already limited your options by moving files and programs to H. Is the H drive formatted as a single partition? You don't need to make "enough room" in order to Defrag your C drive by the way. You might want to simply create "mounted volumes." They are easy to create and will "expand" your filled up C drive to your H drive. Google it.

Collapse -
?
by peeeb / January 7, 2006 7:04 AM PST

I have tried looking for mounted volumes but ca't really find anything! - Help!!!

Collapse -
Creating Mounted Volume
by Kono Kusotare / January 7, 2006 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: ?

First, create an empty folder on the volume that is low on space. For example, if you want to expand your music folder on C, make a new folder called "More Music." This is called the "volume mount point." Then open disk management by clicking start, right clicking My Computer and choosing Manage. Click disk management. Now Right click your H volume and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths. In Change Drive Letter and Paths for New Volume dialog box click Add to create a new mounted volume. In the Add New Drive Letter or Path dialog box choose Mount in the Following NTFS Folder and enter the volume mount point (the empty folder you created called More Music) or you can Browse for it and select it. Click OK and close. You have now created "virtual" free space on C, which is actually stored on H. It's easy and effective.

Collapse -
While this was recently discussed...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2006 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: Moving Windows?

Microsoft and others have have no "move Windows" to another drive. The answer is a simple no, but why this is so was answered recently.

Bob

Collapse -
If you really want to clean things up
by retired / January 7, 2006 8:10 AM PST

Save all the data and files, music Etc that you cannot afford to lose to CD/DVD from both C and H.. Now format H to clean it up. Clean the C drive of all the junk like old programs and anything else you no longer want. Using a good cloning utility such as this

http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/02zwd11/casper_xp.htm

Clone C to the larger drive, now you can go back and format the old C. the 120 Gig now becomes the C bootable drive and you can use your imagination as to what you want for storage Etc. A little work involved but i think you will be happy with the results.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!