Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Moving the "All Programs " Window

When I click on "start" then "All Programs", this window is over to the right side and I cannot see the last column of programs. I have tried dragging it and it wont move. How do you center this window? I am using windows XP, Dell 8200 computer.Thank you for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving the "All Programs " Window
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving the "All Programs " Window
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Moving the

In reply to: Moving the "All Programs " Window

I use the other method of letting it scroll up and down, but why not clean your menu up and place a group in another group?

Bob

Collapse -

Three ways you can handle this.

One, Right click on "Start", click "Properties", choose "Classic Start Menu", click "Customize", scroll down to the check box for "Scroll Programs" and check that box, click OK. This will allow all your programs to scroll top to bottom in one column although I don't know if this allows you to change back to the Windows XP and still maintain the scroll feature.

Two, increase your screen resolution to the next step up. Keep increasing until you can see all the program items or your card will not support any higher.

Three, this is the hardest one, but the most advantageous. Right click on "Start", click on "Properties", click on "Classic Start Menus", click on "Customize", click on "Advanced", double click on "Programs" in the right hand side of the window, create new folders to organize your programs as to what type/usage they are (myself, I created Applications, Utilities, Reference, Microsoft Office, and moved Games to this section). Start dragging your program folders into the new folders you created. Once you have organized your folders, close this window and click OK. Now right click on "Start" again, click "Properties" and click on "Start Menu" to bring back the Windows XP look to your desktop. Your menus will be shorter (mine is only 8 items long in Program Files) and all your programs will be available in one or two drill down positions.

Collapse -

Read my reply in the other post.

Collapse -
I lauded more programs than the three column displayed

When I click on "start" then "All Programs", this window is over to the right side and I cannot see the last column of programs. I have tried dragging it and it wont move. How do you center this window? I am using windows XP Professional Ver 2002 Service pack 2
Max Screen: Resolution 1024 X 768
Computer: Intel(R) Pentium(R)4 CPU 3.20GHz 1.00 GB of RAM

Collapse -
Posting to older threads.

In reply to: I lauded more programs than the three column displayed

The difficulty in posting in older threads, (this one is getting on for 5 years old), is that many members here see the date and just walk on by.

Why don't you create your own thread, and re-state your problem. You may get quicker responses.

Good luck.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.