General discussion

Moving stuff from an old desktop to a new desktop

I recently bought a new HP desktop with Windows 7 to replace my 5 year old HP desktop with Windows XP Professional. With my old desktop, I regularly backup my data files to an external hard drive using ClickFree. What is the best way to move everything from my old PC to my new PC? I assume this is a common issue, so maybe I just need to be pointed to an existing link with the answer. Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Moving stuff from an old desktop to a new desktop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Moving stuff from an old desktop to a new desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Under Control Panel Win 7 there's an ICON that says

'Getting Started', then go to 'Transfer files and settings from another computer'.

That might offer a simple straightforward way to transfer your data from your old PC to your new PC.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Depends, but...

There are varying ways of doing this, but generally you may want to try a "network" setup. Even that can vary either using ethernet port, USB, or wi-fi provided network/hub or what you have. The remaining solutions can be using an ext. USB HD to transfer files from one PC to PC or burn to discs, CD/DVD/BD media. -OR- remove old HD from old PC, mount it in ext. USB case and then access files or jerry-rig the old HD(if capable) to new PC and then access. All these can work after either you set it up or provide the items required. There is no super easy way, but try what may seem best. There is also a "cross-over" ethernet cable method for direct PC-PC setup. I tend to like the new USB ext. case method, because then once happy of file transfer, you now have an ext. HD to use.

http://www.informit.com
http://www.windowsreinstall.com

-OR- google away for networking 2 PCs info

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
I notice

from the ClickFree web site at http://www.clickfree.com/products_c3.php that "Smart Computer Migration allows for easy transferring of your data to a new computer and/or to a new operating system (Windows and Mac)".

So, it seems your ClickFree system should be able to move those files to your new system painlessly.

Points to consider though;

1] Programs, eg software applications, will not transfer to a new Windows computer. Any software you need from the old one you will have to install as a fresh application on the new one.

2] Are the files backed up by ClickFree in some proprietary format? If so, will the new OS understand that format, or will ClickFree do any necessary conversion? If ClickFree simply copies files in their original format, then there should be no problem.

There may be other considerations so I would check through the ClickFree manual or online guidance to be sure how this works.

Good luck.

Mark

- Collapse -
Easy Transfer

Download and install "Easy Transfer" from the Microsoft site to the XP machine. Windows 7 has it already installed. Pickup a Easy transfer or migration cable from BB, Staples or whoever has one. .
Hook the cable between the old and new computer, follow the instructions in the Easy Transfer program. It's very fast and easy.
I paid $29.99 for the cable at BB, but have used it many times, so it is a very small investment.

CNET Forums

Forum Info