Question

moving programs and favorites to new hard drive

Hi
have new hard drive to install in old mac book pro.I wanted a fresh start so i dont care about 99% of the junk on the old drive.I just want to save my favorites and a few programs .Can i just put them on a cd and install them into the updated computer.As far as the progams i want to save,I dont have the serial #s . Please Help

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: moving programs and favorites to new hard drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: moving programs and favorites to new hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
No serial numbers, that's going to be a problem

as for the favorites, no problem there.

- Collapse -
That sounds great but....

Hi thanks for your response.One question; what is the MBP and where do i find the application support folder?
thanks ,Rich

- Collapse -
MBP = MacBook Pro

Application support folder is inside your Home folder > Library
you will also find the Preferences folder there too.

P

- Collapse -
Not to disagree...

I would probably still use TimeMachine, not because your method won't work, but there's allot of hidden files that the normal person could miss on restore.

If your going that route though, I would definitely download TinkerTool after the new install: http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html There's an option in there to show hidden files, look in the /Users/'username"/ directory for any .program_name files that you might need.

If you know your way around a command line, then it's just "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" and restart finder.

- Collapse -
Although the Time Machine route would be the ideal way to go

I suspect that by using the term "old MacBook Pro" that the user has a machine that is not capable of running Time Machine.
I could be wrong though.

CNET Forums