Laptops forum

General discussion

Moving (need desktop replacement)

by brian.hanna / May 7, 2007 1:15 PM PDT

i'm moving, and the new school im going to ( a boarding school) doesn't allow desktops in the dorm, so i was thinking about getting an alienware aurora m9700 with the following specs.

AMD Turion? 64 Mobile ML37 2.0GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache
Genuine Windows

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving (need desktop replacement)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving (need desktop replacement)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
review
by brian.hanna / May 7, 2007 2:05 PM PDT

after viewing
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

i dont feel SLI is required for me, the difference between single and Dual just isnt great enough.

The single scored a mere 1200 less in 3dmark06 (dual score 5000).
i think ill be happy with that... just hope Service for alienware canada is not as bad as people make it out to be ( ill just get alienrespawn just in case =P)

Collapse -
still need help
by brian.hanna / May 7, 2007 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: review

ok after viewing post, i see that many people hate alienware... any ideas for a similar specced laptop for similar price?

please i really need help

Collapse -
The Sager NP5760
by orlbuckeye / May 7, 2007 8:45 PM PDT
In reply to: still need help

www.discountlaptops.com or the Asus G1 which is sold at Best Buy. But if you wait a bit the Santa Rosa will be out and Asus will have the G1 with a 15 inch screen and the G2 with a 17 inch screen.

Collapse -
sager is nice but...
by brian.hanna / May 7, 2007 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: The Sager NP5760

you have to add the OS to the package, and it's already close to 2100, 2000 is where i need to stick close to

Collapse -
Link to..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 9:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
Well the Asus is cheaper
by orlbuckeye / May 8, 2007 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Link to..

at Best Buy for 1799.00
That Sager Price is with the 300.00 off. My purchased my second Sager
with an OS. I got the 5710 that was a ancestor of the 5760 chassis.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8246999&st=asus&type=product&id=1168045345063

Like I said all manufacturers will be coming out with the Santa Rosa machines shortly. The Santa Rosa's are supposed to have better battery life because the new power conservation features. You may want to look into that. The proces should be a little higher so the ASUS may still fall into you price range. Also I've hear mostly nothing but good things about Asus eventhough they aren't one of the biggies.

Collapse -
all?
by brian.hanna / May 8, 2007 3:35 AM PDT

well, i probably wont be making the order for another months, im in research phase now

Collapse -
I'm going to pan one item. Ready?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2007 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: all?

"AMD Turion? 64 Mobile ML37 2.0GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache"

While that would be fine for XP days, Vista is too demanding from my view to accept anything less than a duel core CPU. You'll see repeated pleas for that plus 2GB RAM and 256MB video cards.

Bob

Collapse -
how about this computer
by brian.hanna / May 8, 2007 3:55 AM PDT

Comment on this computer here, not any other, in my opinion it is good, but hey im no expert by any means

Intel

Collapse -
That surpasses most desktops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2007 3:58 AM PDT

The only downside if there is one is the so-so battery time. But that's the price we pay for game capability. Hopefully it's some name.

Bob

Collapse -
any difference
by brian.hanna / May 8, 2007 4:02 AM PDT

ok, so that computer is good?
i dont need the battery to last forever, i mean it wil be plugged into the wall mostly, and i would only take notes on it in a few classes.

can you tell me what the difference between 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz and
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz is?

they both cost the same, but im guessing for the extra 133MHz theres a downside.

Collapse -
Only a benchmark may tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2007 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: any difference

But today's games should be fine with said choice. I'm sure that someone will write the higher clock is better and it should be. But imagine that I've done benchmarks over the years and it's not always true (just most of the time.) I wouldn't call this a show stopper.

Bob

Collapse -
thank you
by brian.hanna / May 8, 2007 4:16 AM PDT

i think ill be getting the inspiron 9400, not top of the line but i think it'll play games very well, and be able to do the work i'll need it for

Collapse -
It's hard to find
by orlbuckeye / May 8, 2007 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

any laptop with a 17" screen that gets over 2 hours especially if it has a gaming GP.

Collapse -
wow
by brian.hanna / May 8, 2007 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: It's hard to find

now i feel stupid, the inspiron is from Dell Canada, (thats where im moving) so the US price isnt 2003, its more like 1700US, so thats a better deal, maybe now i can even bump up to a XPS

Collapse -
nvm
by brian.hanna / May 8, 2007 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: wow

XPS still too much, ill just have fun with me Inspiron =)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.