Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

moving My Music

by Disneyfan / March 21, 2007 8:56 PM PDT

A friend has a desktop computer running XP Home Edition and just a 30GB hard drive. His drive is full primarily from music (iTunes) and photos. If we added an external hard drive, how can we move My Music folder to that secondary drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: moving My Music
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: moving My Music
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wouldn't.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: moving My Music

Personally I would keep the "My Music" folder where it is, but just transfer all of the contents of the folder over to the new drive.

Although there are methods for moving the My Documents, My Music, and My Pictures folders elsewhere, I wouldn't do so because there may be times when you need to save a file into one of the My Documents sub-folders, or in My Documents itself, and then realise that the external drive is turned off, or is disconnected. You then have to cancel your action, turn on or connect up the external drive, then start again.

Also, using an external drive, it will not connect immediately when you start Windows, and so the Operating System will start looking for My Documents on Startup and fail to find it.

There are methods for moving the My Documents goup of folders, and Microsoft's guidance is here;

But this is what I would do;

1] When the external drive is up and running, create folders on it using Windows Explorer or My Computer for your own use, eg;

Marks stuff, and inside that, sub-folders called
My Music
My Photos
My Vdeos
My Documents, etc.

Of course, you can choose what names you like.

2] Copy and Paste All of your music files, photos, videos, etc from the current My Documents folders to the new ones. I say Copy and paste instead of Cut and paste because if anything goes wrong with the Cut command, you may lose all of your files. With Copy, you have another chance. Once the new files are tested, then you can delete the old files if you wish.

Use Windows Explorer or My Documents to navigate between the different folders to do the copying and pasting

3] Then test a couple of files by double clicking on them to make sure they still work.

4] Once you are happy the copy pasting has gone ok, then open up iTunes and start creating new playlists.

There is a way to keep the iTunes orginal playlist but point it to the new location. Instructions below;

5] Re-organise any photo's lists as needed using the software you usually use for viewing photos.

6] After a while, delete all the old files in the old My Documents folders.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Have u try?
by Yastreb86 / March 21, 2007 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: moving My Music

Have u try ctrl+C ctrl+V Happy

Message was edited by: admin

Collapse -
copying the files is not the problem...
by Disneyfan / March 21, 2007 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Have u try?

I was hoping to set it up such that when the user clicks My Music it would take them to the new location. MarkFlax brings up a good point about the new location being on an external drive and that drive not always being available.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?