Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Moving internet favorites and MSN problems

by millerw / April 21, 2006 11:27 AM PDT

Hi,
My problem is two fold. My hard drive crashed and now I am trying to reinstall everything. If I open IE and log on non of my favorites show up. The butterfly won't allow me to log on with my hotmail account unless I sign up for a monthly fee. My other computer with MSN 6, version 7.02 will open all of my favorites as will any other one using MSN 6. So how can I copy them to a jump drive and reinstall them? I must have close to 100 links which I use for teaching.

Thanks.
wmiller

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving internet favorites and MSN problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving internet favorites and MSN problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Few Tips for Computer Newbies by Grif Thomas
by eddie11013 / April 21, 2006 11:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
removing favorites from MSN explorer
by millerw / April 22, 2006 1:14 AM PDT

Thanks for the directions, that woked fine for IE but how do I do that using MSN site-the one where you log into the blue window?

Collapse -
Monthly Fee
by eddie11013 / April 22, 2006 5:29 AM PDT

I'm not sure I understand your problem, maybe a 'Mod' can jump in. I do know that the Hotmail account "can" pose a problem on a "new/clashed" computer. Because the "hotmail" account is no longer free. It is only free for current subscribers and of course it thinks you are 'new' on this 'computer'. I don't remember how I did it, but my brother had a similar problem and we were able to work around it and get his free account back. His account was tied to the 'envelope' icon on top that is tied to outlook express. I have a hotmail account that I never use, but I just clicked on sign in and did not have any problems. Maybe I'm way off with what you are trying to achieve. I don't see any blue screen when I go to www.msn.com.
Eddie

Collapse -
I have a backups of my favorites; a floppy and on yahoo.com
by DarCLew2 / April 22, 2006 5:43 AM PDT

Latter is a free site at www.yahoo.com and it is listed as bookmarks. The other one was a lot more trickier for they were from AOL and I saved them in My Documents. When I opened them up, there was a lot of etra items that I had on wordpad that I deleted but all started as http.... and the ends had the following: .org, .htm, .htnl or .shmtl.
From that, I made certain they were all setup as a list then I could print them and send the entire document to a floppy ( Ihave two floppies and one is a favorites.exe that I made thru winzip by creating a 1] favorites.zip and then making executable [.exe]. When I put in that floppy, it wants to go to a temp folder but change it to my favorites instead. Now it shows up as a folder listed as favorites whicjh I open up, copy and paste it in the favorites folder and the entire list is there and I can safely delete the folder that is in favorites. Darrell PS- they don't use that much space on a floppy, my original list used up 10.0 KB and there are 78 links on the floppy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?