PC Applications forum

General discussion

Moving hard drive info from old computer to new.

I was wondering what was the best way to go about this. I dont know if it's best I just copy stuff to cd's and over to the new pc. I really just don't want to spend an enormus amount of time going thru my old pc's hd to find what i do/don't want. I'd rather just get it all over there so i can begin using it and then clean out the junk from there. I was thinking of partitioning a bit of the drive on the new computer to hold all my "old" hard drive info and just clean house from there. Is that possible? I hope I've been clear enough to get help and posted in the right place??

Thanks,
Lisa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving hard drive info from old computer to new.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving hard drive info from old computer to new.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd save data off the old hard drive without moving

In reply to: Moving hard drive info from old computer to new.

it to the new computer. No matter where you sort through the stuff, it will take the same amount of time. If you have a CD burner on the old computer, making copies of what you want to save won't add that much to the task. I wouldn't want the clutter on a new computer if is was me.

Collapse -
Re: moving

Lisa,

There's the difference between programs and data and settings.

Programs, generally, have to be reinstalled on the new computer, because you can't simply move or copy them. There are exceptions, but it's best to just install them, as you did on your old computer.

Data like documents, pictures, music is easy to transfer via a cd-burner or a local network. It makes sense to burn them to CD, so that you've got a backup in case anything happens with the hard disk of the new computer. Backing things up always makes sense.

Moving mail, address book, account data, templates, favorites, passwords, cookies, contacts, fonts and data like that (that is integrated in application programs like IE and OE and Word and Outlook) is more work. There is no general recipe for that, but the Windows XP File and Settings Transfer wizard is designed for exactly this purpose. But if you know what you're doing and how to do it, you can transfer most of it 'manually' also.

You can put all the old stuff on a separate partition, but just as well in a folder, named something like "old_comp" in the same partition. Then you've got time to gradually sort it out and move it around to the appropiate place on your new one. Or you can just add the old hard disk as a 'slave' hard disk to the new computer.
I like the idea doing it like this.

Kees

Collapse -
There are a couple of ways

to do it, depending on what version windows you have.

Here are a few of the ways so you have your choice...the easiest method is the HICKERYS one if you have anything other than W2K or WXP......

http://www.pcwarfare.com/hdd.toc.htm

TONI

Collapse -
External hd to usb

Yes, you can't really anticipate what you may need in the future. Keep it all available.
What i did was to yank the hd from my old computer.
Buy an external hd case.
Then plug old hd into new computer usb port.
And lived happily ever after.

Collapse -
This was the winner of all ideas!

In reply to: External hd to usb

Thank you so much, what a great idea. Wish I would have thought of it Happy

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas. This is what I love about this site. It's priceless!

Thanks again,

Lisa

Collapse -
Bought new external hd case

In reply to: External hd to usb

and have it hooked up to my new computer thru a usb port and have access to all my old files etc. My old & new hd's have win xp home installed on them. Is it possible to access the old hd in a "windows" enviroment? What I mean is can I get into the old hd and have it put me into how I was looking or working on my "old" computer? I say this because a lot of the programs are not able to run because it acts as if they are not running on an operating system. I hope the person who suggested the external hd case via usb reads this and understands what I'm trying to say. Help ??????

Collapse -
Normally, since you never removed the

In reply to: Bought new external hd case

operating system (XP) from the drive now in the external setup, the original system files are still located there, and what you need to do is put shortcuts to all of those programs onto your 'new' desktop, and change the path DRIVE letter ONLY part in Properties of that shortcut to the external drive letter. They should run then.....without having to reinstall them.

TONI

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.