HolidayBuyer's Guide

Storage forum

General discussion

Moving from internal to external HD

by bstone66 / October 17, 2006 4:17 PM PDT

Hi all,

I've got an external 300gb firewire drive connected to my PC, which has a 160gb internal drive. I'm going to get rid of the PC soon, but it will be a while before I get one to replace it (I'm moving overseas).

What I'd like to do is move all of the programs and data from my internal HD to my external HD so I can still access them with whatever computer I use in the interim (e.g. my girlfriend's notebook PC or computers at work).

Is this possible, and if it is can someone please point me in the direction of how to do it? I don't need step by step instructions, just an idea of how to proceed. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving from internal to external HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving from internal to external HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows doesn't do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 10:28 PM PDT

If you were using Linux this does work, but not for Windows.

There are some new "Portable Applications" such as Portable Firefox and others that don't require an install but for most people they are thinking office and games which are not portable.

About that firewire connection. Some like it but at the office a few firewire drives (and our customers too) lost all their files. It appears that Windows and firewire is still under development. Connecting the drive via USB 2.0 solved those drive issues. On the Apple however the reverse is true and we connect with firewire.

Go figure.

Bob

Collapse -
Moving from internal to external HD
by erictran / October 20, 2006 12:52 PM PDT

Make winXp boot on external is possible but not recommended due to some program ask for activation i.e norton , etc... I means they don't allow to boot 1 license on both harddisks.
Suggestion: keep the OS on the internal HD, all data is on external HD. Buy another external enclosure , just in case you move . YOu can put the internal hd in the enclosure and take it with you. So you have 2 external hd when moved . 1 for OS and one for data. Program : all genuine from Western Digital, Hitachi give you option to copy from HD->HD . It will make OS bootable if the partition is primary. If not the 7 Tools Partition Manager 2005 will do the work perfectly( boot manager) .
1 thing i should emphasize- buy the enclosure with power adapter and fan . Don't trust the aluminum case will dissipate heat . Some HD is really really hot - the old Desktar hitachi for example. If you have movie and want to watch it directly on TV . buy the enclosure that could display MPG4, AVI, WMA, WMF, etc. format
enjoy the portable

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.