Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Moving favorites from floppy to Favorites folder

by grandpaw7 / October 31, 2004 1:12 AM PDT

I copied the favorites on my old computer to a floppy and now want to add them to my XP Favorites but I don't know how I should do this. Can you help? Thanks, grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving favorites from floppy to Favorites folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving favorites from floppy to Favorites folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Moving favorites from floppy to Favorites folder
by hangman / October 31, 2004 2:33 AM PST

Open Windows Explorer and browse to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites.
Paste your old bookmarks into this folder.
You will notice that in addition to 'All Users', there are folders with any other Users you may have setup on your computer.
Each folder contains the same Folders, Desktop, Favorites, Start Menu, etc.
You can customize the Desktop Shortcuts, Internet Bookmarks and even what programs are listed from "Start/All Programs".
You are actually editing shortcuts here, NOT the actual application, as always, make a backup of the folder contents before you start!

As you might guess, The All Users folder is available to all the PC's Users, anything listed under another user folder is merged with the All Users info.
Just Copy/Cut and paste to suit your needs!

Personally, I have edited out most Office and Buisiness programs from my kids profiles, AND I dont need to see a ton of their games!

Collapse -
Thanks, hangman
by grandpaw7 / October 31, 2004 8:02 AM PST

You'll see that this duplicates a prior post. In the prior thread, I followed Toni's advice and used drag and drop to get the favorites from the floppy to the All User Favorites folder in the new hard drive.

But I'm not understanding what you are saying about the different favorites folders XP provides. Right now, there is nothing in the favorites under All Users, and there is a different set of favorites in each of the others, my granddaughter's, mine as Owner, and Administrator. I got the impression from your post that the All Users favorites folder would include all the favorities in the other favorites folders.

Could you clarify?

Thanks, grandpaw

Collapse -
Grandpaw, Reverse That Idea A Little....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 31, 2004 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, hangman

When placing a shortcut in the "All Users/Favorites" folder, the favorite will appear for every user that logs on. When an individual user places a favorite in their personal user "Favorites" folder,for example; "Owner/Favorites" it will only be seen by the user that placed it there. It can not be seen by other users.

The same applies to "All Users/Desktop" items or "All Users/Start Menu" items. When the shortcut is listed in "All Users", everyone will see it. If it's listed in a single user's profile, it will only show up when that user logs on.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Grif, grandpaw
by grandpaw7 / November 1, 2004 12:17 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Moving favorites from floppy to Favorites folder
by Kees Bakker / October 31, 2004 4:56 AM PST

Grandpa,

I'm inclined to say 'Just the other way around'.

- If you used copy and paste to get the files from a folder on the hard disk to a folder on the diskette (probably the root folder) than use copy and paste to get the files from the folder on the diskette to the folder on the (other) hard disk.
- If you used drag and drop, just drag and drop.
- If you used xcopy (unlikely!), just use xcopy.
- If you used File>Export to a diskette (the recommended way to transport and backup your favorites!), then use File>Import from the diskette.

What's the problem?

Kees

Collapse -
Question for Kees
by grandpaw7 / November 2, 2004 12:47 AM PST

I'd swear that I already posted this reply. But, obviously, I'd be sinning if I did.

Anyhow, Kees, I got the favorites from my old hard drive into the floppy by opening the favorites, highlighting everything, and then using Send To the floppy. And I used drag and drop to get them from the floppy into the new hard drive. Drag and drop worked so well that I now wonder what benefit you to see to using the same method for both?

I now know how I could have used Paste and Copy for both operations, and how I could have used drag and drop for both. If anyone reading this doesn't know how to use those methods, or needs a refresher, please post that.

But I don't know how to use the Export/Import method which you say is the preferred method for moving favorites. When I open my favorites folder and click on File, it does not give me an Export or Import option. So what would I do to get that option?

Thanks, grandpaw

Collapse -
Answers for grandpaw
by Kees Bakker / November 2, 2004 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: Question for Kees

Grandpaw,

One gets used to a certain method of doing things from all that Windows has to offer. That's the only reason I suggested you use the same method for both transfers. But that doesn't work with Send To indeed, with standard Windows tools.
I've installed some add-on to the Send to ... so it now shows a Send to Any folder which lets you browse through your hard disk. But I must admit I hardly ever use it, and prefer drag and drop (like you).

File>Export and File>Import are functions of IE, not of normal Windows explorer. A big advantage of using that method is that you can transfer your favorites to Firebird or Netscape, if you are switching browsers. And that's the only reason to recommend it, in fact.

Regards,

Kees

Collapse -
Not Kees, But How To Import/Export
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 2, 2004 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: Question for Kees

While in Intenet Explorer, click on "File" in the upper left, choose "Import and Export", at the next screen, click on the "Next" button, then select to "Export Favorites", click "Next", then make sure "Favorites" is highlighted, click "Next", then save the default "Bookmark.htm" file to the default "My Documents" folder. Then follow the prompts to save the file to that folder.

You can now navigate to the "My Documents" folder and open the bookmark.htm file to see how the favorites and their links are aligned. You can back up the "bookmark.htm" file right along with all your other "My Documents" stuff by placing it on a CD or floppy, etc......and when you copy the "My Documents" folder over to a new computer, it will be in the default location.

If you ever need to "Import" the Favorites back to Internet Explorer, make sure that your backed up "bookmark.htm" file is placed in the "My Documents" folder, then follow the same procedure to "Import Favorites".

I find this method much easier than the copy/paste or drag/drop method.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Import/Export method for me
by TONI H / November 2, 2004 2:32 AM PST

with Favorites has occasionally only imported/exported the default Favorites that windows installs and not the complete list, which is why I hardly ever use it since the only way to verify you got what you thought you were getting is to open the .htm file as you suggested and looking at it.

One other thing to mention with the Favorites folder is that some of those URL's are extremely long and if you use a burning program to save them to cd, you will get windows sometimes that pop up about renaming some of them...and it happens right in the middle of copying them to the project just before the burn. I've made it a point now to look at my Favorites every so often and actually rename them ahead of time when I can see that they aren't as short a name as they should be. It doesn't change the URL in any way and makes it easy to burn them to cd.

TONI

Collapse -
Hmmm....I've Never Had That Problem. But....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 2, 2004 8:29 AM PST

...then again, I've only got about 70-80 favorites or so, plus I keep their names short. I burn the "bookmark.htm" file to CD all the time.

As I remember, LOL, you're the queen of the "Quicklaunch" toolbar and that's something I never use either. Oh well...just personal preferences.

Thanks Toni.

Grif

Collapse -
with over 125 Quick Launch shortcuts
by TONI H / November 2, 2004 8:51 AM PST

I copy that folder to my burned cd, too.....

I would slit my wrists in a tub if I didn't have QL anymore LOL

TONI

Collapse -
Re: with over 125 Quick Launch shortcuts
by roddy32 / November 2, 2004 9:06 AM PST

You must have a very tall monitor Toni for when that list expands. Grin I love the quick launch bar myself LOL

Collapse -
by TONI H / November 2, 2004 8:19 PM PST

I have a 19" LCD monitor, use a high resolution screen, and take advantage of Autohide for the taskbar since mine is 5 lines deep....I also keep the taskbar at the top of the screen so as I'm scrolling through webpages, I don't have the darn thing pop up with my mouse getting too close to it. lol

TONI

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 2, 2004 8:33 PM PST

I was just kidding you Toni LOL. I would be lost without the quick launch but I don't think I have that many things that I want to put on it. LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ROFL
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 2, 2004 9:26 AM PST
Collapse -
TIFAOP
by grandpaw7 / November 2, 2004 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) ROFL

To you wet behind the ears Newbies: ROFL means Rolling on the floor laughing.

By the way, TIFAOP means take it from an old pro. That would be me.

You asked where does "wet behind the ears" comes from? The last part of a foal or calf to dry out is the part behind the ears. So for some reason it means inexperienced. It seems like a silly way to say inexperienced but that is the way people used to talk, before computer shorthand took over. I got to looking at ROFL and came across these variations:
* ROFLAPMP
* ROFLMAO
* ROFLMAOASTC
* ROFLMAOAY
* ROFLMAOWTIME

Since I complained about far[ou]t, I can't tell you what they mean but, if you're interested, and don't ask me why you would be, you can find out at:

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/r/rofl.htm

grandpaw

Collapse -
Duplicate post
by grandpaw7 / October 31, 2004 7:51 AM PST

After I posted this the first time, I didn't wait long enough for it to show up. So I frankly was wondering if I had hit the Submit button or if I had done something wrong, so I posted it a second time. I asked that it be deleted, but the moderator couldn't do that because there were already replies. Sorry about that. grandpaw

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!