Mac OS forum

General discussion

Moving data from Mac to PC

by pdm76 / January 21, 2006 1:43 AM PST

Hi there,

I have a PowerBook G4 running OS X. I'm trying to transfer a very large chunk of data (roughly 40 gigs or so) from my Mac to my PC (I need to sell my Mac, so I'm trying to empty it). Fortunately, most of the files can be read by both platforms, so I don't need to convert any data, just move it. Any suggestions on how this could be done? I've thought of burning everything on to DVDs and moving them that way, but I'm wondering if there's another way. Many thanks in advance!

- P.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving data from Mac to PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving data from Mac to PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How about Networking the two together
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 3:35 AM PST

with a piece of Ethernet cable and just moving the stuff from one machine to the other across the network?
If you do not already have both machines running on the same network, or you do not have a network at all, you will need to buy a length of Cat5 Ethernet cable that is wired for Cross-Over. A regular length of ethernet cable will not work for you.

It is by far the fastest, and compared with your alternative, cheapest method of moving that amount of data

Standing by for the questions on how to do it

Happy

P

Collapse -
thanks!
by pdm76 / January 27, 2006 5:35 AM PST

Hello good sir,

Once again you have helped me out greatly! Thank you very much. I had no idea you could network a mac and pc together, but I figured it out and transferred everything over. Thanks again!

Best,

Paul

Collapse -
Well done.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 27, 2006 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: thanks!

Glad to hear you accomplished it

P

Collapse -
And?
by redtortilla / October 6, 2010 5:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Well done.

Well, tell us how you did it! First thing that comes to mind is File Sharing and local ip address. Getting warm? I have 200 gigs to transfer and MacDrive is worthless.

Collapse -
File Sharing is what he used.
by sturner--2008 / October 7, 2010 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: And?

The only other method is to use a server with shared areas, or an FTP site. If you have an account with a web based service.

Collapse -
Dropbox
by fragole / October 7, 2010 4:59 AM PDT

Try using DropBox. I love it and use it all the time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.