Mac OS forum

General discussion

moving back to pc

by AlanHub / December 15, 2008 11:02 AM PST

I have been using macs for the past 4 years now, and honest to god, i love the operating system and the whole mac experience. However, with the advent of the iphone, i dont believe that i have ever hated the panderer steve jobs or his legion of mostly blind apple fans. Steve Jobs charges a $400 premium on his systems, and i'm sick of it.

How does one go about transferring all of his documents, music and photos from one computer to the next. Because PCs are unable to recognize time machine, and target disk only works with firewire. HELP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: moving back to pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: moving back to pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Moving Data
by jedirock / December 15, 2008 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: moving back to pc

There are three ways I can think off right away:
1) Use Target Disk Mode. Most PCs nowadays should have Firewire, so it should work fine, although you'll need a program to read HFS+ drives for Windows.
2) Use an external hard drive formatted as FAT32. Both Windows and Mac OS X can read and write to FAT32 drives.
3) Use a USB flash drive or DVDs. Either will require multiple transfers, but will work.

If you have both computers and can run them at the same time, you can also use a shared network connection to transfer the files using shared folders.

Collapse -
Today, lots of choices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2008 11:32 AM PST
In reply to: moving back to pc

My personal projects now fit on about 2GB or less. So for the work projects a flash drive (memory stick to some) is dandy.

For a lot of content I'll just make a network share and copy it over the network. Both PC and Mac network very well so the only challenge could be the owner's network acumen.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.