PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Moving a hard drive

I have a dell Pentium 3 PC running XP Pro, SP2. A friend has given me an unwanted IBM Pentium 4. I would like to take the hard drive out of the P3 and put it in the P4, and just start working. The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 Ultra ATA/100 80-GB Hard Drive. I tried putting it in previously but the P4 wouldn't recognize it even though the BIOS recognized the make/model of the hard drive. I imagine this might have something to do with the difference of motherboard and CPU on the new system. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving a hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving a hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually it has to do with all the hardware

In reply to: Moving a hard drive

in the P4 system. It's quite a shock to the OS from the P3 when one tries to make a major change like that. One way is to do a repair install of the OS but you will need the full install OS/CD for it to work. More info here.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Collapse -
Thank you.

In reply to: Actually it has to do with all the hardware

Just the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you.

Collapse -
LIES!

In reply to: Thank you.

It actually works just fine. I just moved a hard drive from a 1ghz intel to a AMD 64 3700 with 8x the RAM, different everything.

It just took about 5 minutes to boot (had to install all the fancy new stuffs) and then it said that major hardware changes were detected, reactivate in 3 days. Call MS for an activation number or do so online. Xp is so resilient...

Collapse -
SeaGate Barracuda..

In reply to: Moving a hard drive

I have the very same 80-GB Model..its a Single Disk HDD..
SeaGate advertises that it a very QUIET Drive..I use it for a Ext. HDD..it was delivered in my DELL DE051(1100-series Dimension)..but I replaced it w/Western Digital HDD WD400JB(40-GB)..
The SeaGate is a very nice drive..you may find it a easy choice if you can check in COMPUTER Management-useing the Disk Management Program/How this Drive is set up..
I have been useing Disk Management to set up my HDD's..
running a Default-ALLOCATION..
Also the SeaGate has whats called SMART-technology..
This must be activated(Enabled)to work..
It most likely is ENABLED..but if a problem crops up..
You may want to check w/SeaGate on how to determine if SMART is TURNED-On.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.