Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Moving a few pieces of furniture?Would it be worth it?

by Paula Rae / October 30, 2003 7:41 AM PST

(Here?s hoping the quotes bug is really fixed)

My mother is planning to move into smaller quarters next year, and is asking her 4 children to choose some furniture pieces that she will have to give up. It is possible I could have a couple of occasional tables, maybe a needlepoint chair or two, and possibly a buffet with mirror and upper shelf. These are not costly antiques, but are nice pieces with an old look. Mom restored some of them herself.

Since she?s on the West Coast and I?m now on the East Coast, I haven?t the foggiest idea how I would transport the furniture, or whether the cost would make it unrealistic.

I?ll be going back for Christmas, and that?s when she wants all of us to choose. I?d like to know the feasibility before then.

What kind of company would I contact to find out the costs and feasibility?
I?m not the least bit interested in hiring ?starving students? or non-professionals to move them.

Another thing: this I will move for sure. A set of 12 volumes of rare old history books that I bought ?used? for Mom 30 years ago. They are worth possibly 100 times more now than what I paid, but she needs to let them go.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Happy
Paula Rae

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving a few pieces of furniture?Would it be worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving a few pieces of furniture?Would it be worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Moving a few pieces of furniture?Would it be worth it?
by Angeline Booher / October 30, 2003 8:35 PM PST

Hi, Paul,

Been there, done that. Some pieces from Joe's mother in Tallahassee to here. Hired a regular long distance moving company. The things went on a load coming this way. They will give an estimate.

More than what you mention. Dining room suite, occasional chair, nice mirror, cabinet, mattress set, odd pieces. His sister in Bowling Green added a few furniture pieces. The cost was between $80-$900. Was it worth it? Yes.

Another option. My brother in CA wanted a "butterfly" table of our mom's. So I found a box it would fit in and sent it UPS. $10-$15. As you mentioned tables, this could be your best bet.

Unless there are other family members along the way who would like for things to be dropped off.

Either way, it's door-to-door.

When I moved, a lot of my things went upstairs. But there are a couple of pieces my daughter wants when she retires, so, as they are large, they will be shipped to wherever she lands.

Both of our shipments were in the late 90's.

It all was worth it to us.

Hope this helps!

Angeline
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by Paula Rae / October 31, 2003 1:45 AM PST

Hi Angeline,

I guess I'll call a moving company and see if they can blindly give me a rough estimate.

The books may be another issue.

Thanks!
Happy
Paula

Collapse -
re: the books
by Angeline Booher / October 31, 2003 1:52 AM PST

Though there is a special book rate with the USPS, I woldn't with valuable ones.

I also have some valuable books I am holding for my daughter. I have considered UPS or FedEx. I have not checked on their insurance limit, or if they have one.

Angeline
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by Diana Forum moderator / October 31, 2003 1:51 AM PST

Don't know if you want to risk the books this way but, when my mom moved in with me, she shipped her books via USPS book rate (she usually added a few things with the books). She put the number of the box on the boxes to make sure she got them all and she did and it was cheap.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.