HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Movies folder is gone & iMovie is acting up

by lillibet1 / February 23, 2006 11:16 PM PST

I was importing some dv footage into iMovie, and then exporting it back on a clean tape to send someone a copy. First, iMovie kept shutting down and putting the clips in the imovie trash. Then I would delete the file and start over. Somehow in this process I have deleted the entire folder:movies.

So the problem is two-fold:
1. why is iMovie throwing clips into the trash?
2. what should I do to create a new movie folder for my Home file?

Yes, I empited the trash so I think the folder is truly gone. I had backups of the movie files so that doesn't matter - or is not a disaster at least.

Also, does iMovie have its own disc space? It will tell me I am out of disc space, and yet my G4 powerbook shows 58Gb available?

I am on: Powerbook G4 running 10.4.4 with 1G memory and 93Gb hard drive with 58Gb available.

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Movies folder is gone & iMovie is acting up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Movies folder is gone & iMovie is acting up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iMovie
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2006 2:02 AM PST

You missed an important piece of information. What version of iMovie are you running?
To create a new Movie folder in your Home folder, go to your Home folder and create a new folder as you would normally. Just change the name from untitled to, Movies.
iMovie is probably throwing things in the trash, not the Finders trash can, because it has a problem which is why it keeps crashing.
First, run the Disk Utility and repair permission on your hard drive. Try again with iMovie.
Your original Movie folder got deleted because you went there and deleted it. Clips that are in the trash, inside iMovie, are NOT in the Finders trash can. They are still sitting on the HD, taking up space, and when you delete them, the original clips that were in the Movie folder, remain untouched.
iMovie will use all the available disk space and does not have a certain portion of the HD allocated to it.
If the disk permissions fails to work, trash iMovie's preferences and try again. If that fails, trash iMovie and reinstall it. Your machine should run iLife 06 without a problem.

P

Collapse -
iMovie help
by lillibet1 / February 24, 2006 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: iMovie

Thanks - you are the best in the universe of help discussions. I will let you know how it turns out.
I am running iMovie 5.0.2 (111) which looks to be the most current version.
I'm still a little confused about the available space issue with iMovie - it says I am out of room when my hard drive has 58GB available. Maybe this will be cured with the permission repair, etc.
Have a nice weekend.
Lil

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.