Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Movie Theaters and Commercials...

by grimgraphix / March 11, 2007 3:36 AM PDT

So I went to see The 300 yesterday. It was good but not stunningly great. All in all it was worth the $5.00 afternoon admission fee.

Saturday matinee with friends are always so much more fun than the evening showing but this one had some problems. The movie was slated to start at 1:30 p.m. but the projector was having problems. Movie theater staff came out and apologized for the delay and the film finally started to roll around 2:00.

Now this is where the issue starts for me and is making me think about bringing a complaint. After sitting there for 30-35 minutes... we were forced to sit through 5 or 6 minutes worth of commercials. Now this wasn't coming attractions for new movies, no sir, this was full blown product placement commercials for skin cream, Coka-Cola, etc. My feelings about this are the same as when I buy or rent a movie DVD and find TV commercials tacked on the front that I have to forward through - I don't like it! When I pay outright for a service or product like a movie, I should not have to view content I didn't pay for. Hey... I understand profit margins are sometimes slim but I laid my money down to see a movie and not an advertisement. The extra 30 minute wait just compounded my feelings about the whole thing. You see, as we waited, the theater ran little trivia game slide shows on the screen. These games encouraged the viewers to "vote" by text messengering on their cell phone for their choice of answers A-B-C or D and of course, each vote costs a small fee. Ironic, that interspersed with these slides were requests to turn cell phones off during the movie.

All in all, I was left wondering if accepting all the extra advertising we were ostensibly paying for with our admission fee is acceptable or not? Should the theatre have cut out the commercials as some small recompense for the mechanical problems and the delay we had to endure? Finally, should commercials even be a part of the movie theatre experience? I'm not talking about print ads hung above the urinals in the bathroom but the full blown advertisements that had nothing to do with pop corns or other stuff they might push on you at the concessions stand?

So, should I complain or am I just being a cave man?

grim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Movie Theaters and Commercials...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Movie Theaters and Commercials...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you can complain but
by Mark5019 / March 11, 2007 4:00 AM PDT

what i do is wait till movie comes out on dvd the my dvd will skip all ads:)

Collapse -
I'm with you here
by Steven Haninger / March 11, 2007 4:10 AM PDT

A reason for paying to see a first run feature should be no commercial interruptions. If they want to run commercials during an intermission, let it be as it was long ago....dancing boxes of popcorn and candy bars available at their refreshment counter. If they feel a need to run commercials for the early arrivals, let them be at low volume or in complete silence. The sheer number of ads we are exposed to amounts to eye and ear pollution, IMO.

Collapse -
I'm a cave man too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 4:30 AM PDT

I haven't been to the theaters this year. Sadly I can't remember if I went last year. Just a few years ago we went 2 times a month.
I think I need to upgrade to at least this home space -> http://www.cavemanscrib.com/

Here they do "The Twenty" which is you guessed it playing for 20 minutes.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Quite a funny link!
by grimgraphix / March 11, 2007 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm a cave man too.
Collapse -
I heard the other day that production is underway
by Angeline Booher / March 11, 2007 8:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Based on the Geico ads...
by EdH / March 12, 2007 12:55 AM PDT

which are pretty funny. But enough to sustain a series?

Collapse -
The Twenty?
by Bill Osler / March 11, 2007 9:54 AM PDT

I must have missed something at the site.

Collapse -
Possibly this??
by Steven Haninger / March 11, 2007 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: The Twenty?
Collapse -
Doesn't bother me
by EdH / March 11, 2007 4:55 AM PDT

I can't go to movie theatres any more but when I did it was not a big deal. It's very hard for theater owners to make a buck these days. They have already raised the prices of refreshments as high as can be. Seems to me commercials are a minor annoyance at worst.

If they were actually interrupting the movie that would be a different story.

Collapse -
Well, the 30 minute + delay....
by grimgraphix / March 11, 2007 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Doesn't bother me

made me more sensitive to the additional delay presented by the commercials. It may not have bothered me had I not sat there for so long.

Still, whether it bothered me or not, the question might be asked if the additional revenue generated by the advertisements is necessary to offset the price of the ticket... or if the theater owners are taking advantage of a captive audience. This knowledge may influence my future choice of going to that chain of movie theaters or some other one. Consumer's choice, don'tcha know.

Collapse -
What I think the theaters would say.
by Angeline Booher / March 11, 2007 8:34 AM PDT

"If we didn't show commercials, we would have to raise the price of admission."

I haven't been to a theater in years, but I do recall a few commercials then.

For years I recall a "Let's All Go To the Lobby" jingle and cartoon-like ad for buying popcorn, candy, soda pop, etc. before the movie started.

In old pre-TV times, for 25 cents (15 cents for admission, 10 cents for candy) one got a double feature, a cartoon, previews, a newsreel, and a serial. And the theater was air conditioned! (Homes weren't.)

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I remember the days of looney toons before the film...
by grimgraphix / March 11, 2007 10:23 AM PDT

Tom & Jerry and Bugs would run for a good 20 minutes before the movie started (obviously I was at kids movies)... but these were straight up TV commercials they were running before the flick.

I also should say that I have been to other theater chains during the past year, that did not show such ads.

Collapse -
Speaking of 300...
by EdH / March 12, 2007 12:53 AM PDT

much as I am in favor of movies made from comic books, and Lord knows Frank Miller needs more money, I was really looking forward to the movie version of Gates of Fire, which is about the same battle (Battle of Thermopylae). I hope that 300 doesn't derail it.

Collapse -
Movie Theaters and Commercials...
by johnbald / July 29, 2009 1:15 PM PDT

I am fed up with the commercials, movie prices for mediocre films, and concession prices that have us paying $6.00 for popcorn that if bought in the store for that price would fill a large moving box. I do hope that the public expresses their outrage by not going and thus put these arrogant folks out of business. Being someone of the senior generation I can of course discuss what prices once were and the quality of movies but I will stick with the current day and age and suffice to say it is the major companies that have taken over the theaters and the mom and pop shows are gone, too bad for all of us as the corporate morons are money hungry with no vision of quality for the public.

Collapse -
My take. (I am aware this thread is from 2007.)
by Angeline Booher / July 30, 2009 12:03 AM PDT

I am also a senior, and from my point of view the movies have imroved.

As my "getting out" is limited, I depend on cable for movies. (Have not been in a theater for years.)

For several years I found it rare to find a movie in my genre or one I thought I would care to watch.

But in the past couple of years there have been some marvelous movies. Also, when I hear about a new movie that sounds good, I am willing to wait the 6 months it takes for it to come to cable.

Just my opinion.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I don't like going to the movies very much anymore either
by Josh K / July 31, 2009 2:33 AM PDT

I really only do it when there's something out that my daughter wants to see. Otherwise I'm happy to wait for the DVD release. Between the noise level, the multiplex theaters with no character, the commercials and the people around me talking, etc. the movie theater has lost its magic for me.

Collapse -
I don't have patience for the idiots anymore
by James Denison / August 1, 2009 2:25 AM PDT

I think the last time I went was the Passion movie some years ago. You are lucky if you get the seats you want. You are lucky if someone behind or in front of you isn't giving it away to whomever they brought before those scenes even come on. The big turnoff at the Passion film was a group of grazing cows and their hoard coming in with what qualified for a 3-4 course meal at the movies. At first it was almost impossible to not be distracted by all the lip smacking, nacho crunching, ice rattling going on. The revenge was they were still trying to get it all down when the gory parts started in the film and you could hear the din of feasting start to diminish to nothing as they lost their appetites.

Another problem are the long movies with no intermission. I'm thinking mainly of when I went to see Titanic. After a large soda, waiting for the end and then all that water washing around on the boat, sloshing back and forth, I had to make my own intermission time. Wink

Finally are the cramped seats and people who can't seem to sit for more than a few minutes, which is why I always try to sit middle row if possible, so they are heading away from me all the time and not across my feet all the time.

All in all, I prefer to rent it on DVD later if I want to see it before cable has it.

Collapse -
Well, at least with "The Passion of the Christ"....
by Josh K / August 1, 2009 3:13 AM PDT

...you already knew what was coming next, having read the book. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) LOL, yes I was waiting for their reaction.
by James Denison / August 1, 2009 3:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
and cell phones...
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / August 3, 2009 7:32 AM PDT

It isn't people answering a call, but texting or checking voice mail. Those screens are quite bright and *very* distracting. I often want to ask them if they can survive for two hours without being "connected" Happy

Rick

Collapse -
I wish they had cellphone blocking tech in there.
by James Denison / August 3, 2009 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: and cell phones...

Just make sure everyone know it so if someone is "on call" for hospital or other emergency service they are aware of it and can plan accordingly.

Collapse -
that would work
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / August 4, 2009 7:37 AM PDT

but probably cause a huge uproar. If people could just be more considerate of others... somewhat of an unknown concept nowadays.

Rick

Collapse -
I wonder ...
by Bill Osler / August 4, 2009 9:33 AM PDT

I almost never attempt to attend movies when I'm on call, but on those rare occasions I set my pager to vibrate. I wonder whether cell phone blocking would affect pagers? It is a nuisance to get up and leave the theater to answer a page, which is one reason I rarely try. In any event, who wants to pay $$$ for a ticket and then not get to watch the show?

It probably is not possible to set the blocking so that it affects only people who are actually in the individual theaters without also blocking the hallways and lobby. A shame.

Still, for me, I would not be all that bothered if they put in cell phone blocking. They would get some resistance from overly cautious parents who want the baby sitter to be able to reach them if the baby burps more than usual (or whatever) but folks need to remember that the whole notion of instant availability 24x7 is a new concept. Parents went out on the town without cell phones just a few years ago.

Collapse -
foil
by James Denison / August 4, 2009 1:55 PM PDT
In reply to: I wonder ...

I think if they had foil under the walls, used metal doors and had it all grounded it would act like a faraday cage to keep many signals out and any cellphone blocking system within the confines of the theatre, except during times the doors opened.

Collapse -
(NT) Unfortunately that would also block pager signals.
by Bill Osler / August 5, 2009 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: foil
Collapse -
Oh, I've seen people answer calls
by Josh K / August 4, 2009 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: and cell phones...

I saw it happen once in New Jersey. Some guy behind us's phone rang. I hear him going "Oh hi, yeah, I'm at the movies, what's up?" This was DURING THE MOVIE. I whipped around and said, "You have GOT to be kidding!" and glared at him. He put the phone away.

I hate people.

Collapse -
Yep, me too
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / August 4, 2009 7:43 AM PDT

It's usually brief, though. With the lit-up screens it sometimes lasts a while - and if they are several rows ahead it would disturb others to get up and go chide them. Ah well, just another part of "modern life".

Rick

Collapse -
lol, take a water gun
by James Denison / August 4, 2009 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep, me too

shoot'em if the answer the phone.

Collapse -
Better yet, shoot the phone and short it out
by Josh K / August 5, 2009 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: lol, take a water gun
Devil
Collapse -
(NT) I wait until I can get them from the library
by Diana Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 12:00 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?