TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

MOVIE THEATERS

by jerrynj2va / March 14, 2008 6:45 AM PDT

I think if we are gonna spend $8 or more for these movies they should be displayed on a 1080p projector. You guys see that coming anytime soon. What you guys think?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MOVIE THEATERS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MOVIE THEATERS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / March 14, 2008 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: MOVIE THEATERS

ummm beside film being about 2 times+ that of 1080p, some theaters are starting to install 1440p projector for digital side.

I don't goto the theater any more, the last time was when StarWars III come out, the building may look nice but their projector & sound system really sucks

Collapse -
So you mean to tell me
by jerrynj2va / March 18, 2008 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: ....

The suff in movies is better than blu ray quality. Now if your saying That isnt the "director view" I understand.

Collapse -
1080p would look awful
by albeach55 / March 14, 2008 8:03 AM PDT

on a screen that big. Like the other poster mentioned, film has a better resolution than 1080p (though since it is technically an analog medium, there isn't a true "resolution to film).

Now, if we could get some of the ultra-high definition screens that recently debuted in Japan, that may be another thing.

Collapse -
Digital
by Dan Filice / March 14, 2008 8:22 AM PDT

When I saw the last 3 Star War movies, I saw them in theaters with digital projection. Yes, film is technically a higher resolution, but it was sure nice not to see the dirt, blotches, scratches, etc. that I see in run film. These films were also shot digitally (no film). It may take awhile before digital projection becomes a standard sight. It costs a ton of money and you'll need to battle the projectionist union. But all things equal, the cost to convert is the biggest hurdle.

Collapse -
IMAX ditches film, going with DLP projectors !
by jostenmeat / March 14, 2008 1:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Digital
Collapse -
I FORGOT
by jerrynj2va / March 18, 2008 2:45 AM PDT

Completely about imax. Thanks.

Collapse -
1080p wouldn't look awful
by obobskivich / March 15, 2008 4:01 PM PDT

if you had the right optics, however the right optics would cost A FORTUNE relative to the quality

digital cinema runs on Digital Cinema 2k and more recently Digital Cinema 4k devices, which are finding their way into movie theatres across the United States and parts of Europe

aside from that, Super-35 is still found in a lot of movie theatres, and film isn't really a bad thing, it just means that your resolution is controlled by the chemical composition of the emulsion and the quality of the optics (yes, it always comes down to optics when you talk projection) you can have 35mm filmstock that compares to a 12 MP frame, or 35mm filmstock that compares to a 25 MP frame, it all depends on the optics used going in and out (and cinema cameras have some of the best optics in the world) as well as the grain of the film

film also can get into just disgusting resolutions, like gigapixel range (granted we're talking full sheet negatives that require a load of post processing, but you get the idea)

Collapse -
DLP Cinema
by jasondtx / March 17, 2008 8:02 AM PDT

Cinemas using digital projection are starting to catch on. The projectors are very expensive but look very good. I have been to Skywalker ranch a couple of times, and the last time I was out there they had switched out all of their film projectors to DLP projectors. A lot of the new movies coming out are being shot on HD video cameras as opposed to film and when you can shoot the movie that way, add all the digital effects on the computers, master, and project the film it looks very stunning! Also if you go to a movie theater they say the best night to go is the first night, meaning each time the film is shown it degrades slightly and starts to wear. With a DLP projector and a digital movie on hard drive or disc, there is no wear and the movie looks the same the 20th night or on opening night.

Collapse -
OK
by jerrynj2va / March 18, 2008 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: DLP Cinema

So long story short they film makers need to start using digital rather than this film.I guess i was thinking the movie industry would use something to convert the film rather than use another type of technology to record.

Collapse -
Film vs Digital
by Dan Filice / March 18, 2008 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

As Jasondtx mentions, many films utilize digital effects. It kinda makes sense to shoot digital if the movie will require efx, because once shot on digital, the movie exists in a compatible digital file format so everyone in the post-produciton process can access the elements, do what they need to do, then all the efx (color-correction, digital effects, digital compositing, etc.) all get added without the need to go back to film. The post process is essentially seamless. Even when Film was used, the digital post process was done in either 2K or 4K, with 2K being the norm because 4K was so expensive. Then whatever was done digitally, was transferred back to film so it could be edited back into the film. If you were paying for a feature film, wouldn't make sense (cost-wise) to shoot digital, do all post work digitally, then add digital post effect back to a digital-based film? All work stays in the digital world.

Collapse -
Agree
by HTHMAN / March 18, 2008 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Film vs Digital

Film is expensive and most of it ends up on the cutting room floor. You can not record over it like you can with digital media. Easier, cheaper and maybe better makes it the future.

Sad thing is that the kids today will miss what I had. When I was a kid and we went to the movies, you could almost count on the film breaking and you could join in with the foot stomping and booing until they got it spliced. Best you can hope for now is a projector bulb burning out.

Collapse -
A NICE DREAM. NOT HAPPENING VERY SOON.
by Riverledge / March 18, 2008 12:06 PM PDT

River.

Collapse -
SO......
by jerrynj2va / March 24, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

I guess its safe to say for a real movie experinence IMAX is the way to go.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?