Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Movie Gave Me Chills. What Was The Point Of This Film?

by AdelaideJohn1967 / March 2, 2006 3:19 PM PST

9 times out of 10 horror or scary movies, just
don't scare me...

Movies on the other hand that are subtle and
less up front about their content scare me more
where it's left for you to think what happens.
I find them more effective. Anyone agree here?

Anyway onto the offending film.

It was a movie called "The Lottery" and the
premise of the movie is that there is this
small town in middle America where they have
an annual lottery and the person that gets that
one special ticket has the "treat" of the whole
town stoning them to death. The problem with
this premise being that a newcomer comes to
this town and finds the grave of his mother
and several other people.

The catch is that the dates on all the headstones
were the same date and we even get to see him
being almost forced into this town's ritual as
they all gather at the lottery drawing. He
arrived during the lottery period.

Anyway they show us the effects almost entrely
of the stoning by having a lady cast as the
unhappy victim and even show her being stoned,
first knocked to the ground by a hit to the
head, then a succession of other stones all
over her body.

That was right near the end of the movie too.
He escapes the town only to bring back a
isbelieving state trooper and other official
but can't prove anything. The movie ends with
him back in this office outside of the town
and a doctor interviewing him. Then you hear
a strange voice in the background say "never
tell him the truth".....

The movie then ends.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Movie Gave Me Chills. What Was The Point Of This Film?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Movie Gave Me Chills. What Was The Point Of This Film?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) deleted the 2 duplicate posts
by jonah jones / March 2, 2006 4:03 PM PST
Collapse -
you sure of the name?
by jonah jones / March 2, 2006 4:34 PM PST

www.imdb.com doesn't have it listed

Collapse -
The point...
by EdH / March 2, 2006 7:23 PM PST

of all such movies is to thrill and scare you and to make money for the people who made the movie.

Collapse -
Many asked about the point
by drpruner / March 3, 2006 1:05 AM PST

of her original short story ... no one knows.

Collapse -
She said
by Rick S / March 3, 2006 2:05 AM PST

In the July 22, 1948 issue of the San Francisco Chronicle she broke down and said the following in response to persistent queries from her readers about her intentions: "Explaining just what I had hoped the story to say is very difficult. I suppose, I hoped, by setting a particularly brutal ancient rite in the present and in my own village to chock the story's readers with a graphic dramatization of the pointless violence and general inhumanity in their own lives."

Collapse -
Quotable, and she got people off her back. :-)
by drpruner / March 3, 2006 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: She said

I recall that Thurber and Gill both said 'draw your own conclusions' in their New Yorker books. Good story, anyway. Didn't know about the movie.

Collapse -
Civic duty...
by grimgraphix / March 3, 2006 1:52 AM PST

whether it's blood sacrifice on the steps of a Mayan pyramid to climbing into an explosives laden Japanese Zero to strapping on a vest bomb... comes in many forms. As outsiders we often have the luxury of standing outside of the act and imposing our own value system on it, whether the act is right or wrong. "The Lottery" dispenses with the reasons why or what they hope to accomplish and just boil it down to the cold, social process itself... the unthinking acceptance of "this is the way it is". Lots of insights, commentary and conclusions have been drawn over the years from this story... you can make your own.

short bio about the author.

http://www.salon.com/jan97/jackson970106.html

grim

Collapse -
Read this as a teenager
by Diana Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 3:11 AM PST

Man's inhumanity to man has always amazed and horrified and saddened me.

Diana

Collapse -
It's from a short story from the 1950's, and a brilliantly
by Ziks511 / March 3, 2006 7:22 AM PST

creepy one at that. Sorry, but retreival time is way down on my 1946 model brain, I'll probably remember the author in a couple of days.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Shirley Jackson
by EdH / March 3, 2006 7:42 AM PST
Collapse -
for what it's worth
by Rick S / March 3, 2006 11:51 AM PST

which ain't much, but I keep thinking about Nazis and that it's easier to go along with what the higher powered say until it happens to you.

It is incredibly hard to stand up against those with power and traditions as long as you aren't directly affected.

Collapse -
Hmmmmmmm Maybe...
by AdelaideJohn1967 / March 3, 2006 7:24 PM PST
In reply to: for what it's worth

Pity I don't have a holodeck to test that theory out.

OK picking the movie apart, what if just one townfolk
dropped his stone and walked away, and another, and
eventually another..

Eventually the mayor of that town would have been left
on his own and have to reevaluate his position hey.

Collapse -
And Also
by AdelaideJohn1967 / March 3, 2006 7:27 PM PST
In reply to: for what it's worth

If that town were in the real world wouldn't the
authorities become interested in the higher then
usual death rate in this one town?

What if the FBI arrested everyone?

Collapse -
Not the real world, but the world
by drpruner / March 4, 2006 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: And Also

of the mind. Nazism = 'banality of evil', they said. Look in any mirror.

Collapse -
The Long Walk ..... Bachman/King
by MarciaB / March 7, 2006 12:35 AM PST

The feelings invoked by this (type of) story are reminiscent of that which I felt when I read the short story, The Long Walk, by Stephen King (1979, while writing under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman). Check out this story. If you like this type of drama, this is one that will appeal.

A psychological and sociological drama. The type of literature that makes one think and feel a sort of revulsion, but at the same time wanting to know the outcome. Sort of like watching a movie with your face covered by your hands but providing a peep hole through your fingers.

The atmosphere of impending doom. The suspense. The uncertainty. It appeals to our most primitive state of being. It taps into our fears and secreted ideas and images that we try to lock up and avoid.

It is similar to driving by an accident scene and thinking, "I shouldn't look. I want to look. Thank God it's not me." It is why "News" isn't all about the "good;" it is mostly about the "bad and the ugly." It's why the huge majority of the posts here are about what is "wrong" with our lives (or others') in some way, as opposed to what is going well.

People are often embarassed to share that they truly enjoy a good (or even bad) "horror" movie, or the psychological thriller genre such as The Silence of the Lambs. What will people think if they know I actually watch these movies (read these books)? If you are in this group (which I am), you are among a HUGE population of moviegoers/book readers. That is why there are so many of these offered every year.

JMO -

Marcia

Collapse -
the text for those interested
by jonah jones / March 7, 2006 8:09 PM PST
The morning of June 27th was clear and sunny, with the fresh warmth of a full-summer day; the flowers were blossoming profusely and the grass was richly green. The people of the village began to gather in the square, between the post office and the bank, around ten o'clock; in some towns there were so many people that the lottery took two days and had to be started on June 2th. but in this village, where there were only about three hundred people, the whole lottery took less than two hours, so it could begin at ten o'clock in the morning and still be through in time to allow the villagers to get home for noon dinner.

The children assembled first, of course. School was recently over for the summer, and the feeling of liberty sat uneasily on most of them; they tended to gather together quietly for a while before they broke into boisterous play. and their talk was still of the classroom and the teacher, of books and reprimands. Bobby Martin had already stuffed his pockets full of stones, and the other boys soon followed his example, selecting the smoothest and roundest stones; Bobby and Harry Jones and Dickie Delacroix-- the villagers pronounced this name "Dellacroy"--eventually made a great pile of stones in one corner of the square and guarded it against the raids of the other boys. The girls stood aside, talking among themselves, looking over their shoulders at the boys. and the very small children rolled in the dust or clung to the hands of their older brothers or sisters

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!