Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Movie flops because of star?

The past year has seen some big time movies do poorly at the box office. Since this is the end of the year, and the beginning of the award season, you can find articles all over the press right now touting what went wrong and what went right.

The one thing I haven't seen yet (maybe it's already been over analyzed) is did movie stars public behavior kill a movies success?

The 2 examples I can think of were Mission Impossible III and Basic Instinct II. Nether did particularly well (surprising since MI3 was supposed to be the best of the series)... but both Tom Cruise and Sharon Stone have had a lot of press over the past couple of years that kind of paint their daily lives as a bit... crazy, nuts, whacked out... you pick your favorite term.

Tom Cruise lost his job... and got an even better one (go figure)... Sharon Stone is, well, Sharon Stone and I imagine not done either.

But, do you think their public persona are helping them and their projects... or hurting them?

grim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Movie flops because of star?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Movie flops because of star?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Personally

In reply to: Movie flops because of star?

I don't go to the theater. And because the only way to protest some the stars' behaviour is to not watch any of their movies on tv... It's my little way of protesting and probably doesn't hurt their pocketbook one bit, but I feel better.

Tom

Collapse -
I think in the case of MI III.....

....the star probably did hurt the box office. However I understand the other movie was just plain bad, regardless of who was in it.

Collapse -
to me it is always the story, not who is in it

however, I will not see any movie with charles manson. basic instinct 2 got horrible reviews. I do not usually care for sequels. episodic features as star wars, 007 (sean #!), etc works for me. remakes of tv shows are not high on my list either.

a friend (gaffer) of mine refuses to watch the sopranos because he has a permanent feud with their gaffer. (I know both) I always ask if he drives on route 9. he does. I ask him how can he use the same highway that his sworn enemy uses. end of conversation.

actions speak louder than words, everyone says, I will never forgive someone I do not trust. I will share the highway.

Collapse -
Didn't see either.

Haven't been to a threater in years. I wait for those I hear about to be shown on cable.

I did not and will not watch MI one (or the others). I heard they made Jim Phelps the bad guy. Now, there are some things that shouldn't be messed with. Making Phelps bad is one of them.

The old MI TV shows were about tekky stuff and playing on the vulnerabilities of the bad guys. Instead of so many special effects.

There are 2 Cruise films I liked. "The Firm" and "A Few Good Men". I like that genre. One I saw earlier (about pilots) was just an excuse for his big sedx scene.

(OK, I watch a lot of Turner Classic Movies. Those have DIALOGUE!) Happy

I can't say I ever saw a Sharon Stone movie.

There are, however, actors that draw me to their movies. The only one I used to avoid when I could was Frank Sinatra. Just a personal dislike.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Sounds like our house.

In reply to: Didn't see either.

My son used to refer to 'movies that are in black-and-white, where they all smoke cigarettes, and only Dad knows who the actors are.' Happy

I find some good ones in thrift shops. Just last night my wife found Angel Eyes, some Mitchum noir. I watched it after I bought it but forgot to tell her about it. Also have 39 Steps (1939; scared the heck out of my son when he was about 7), King Vidor's silent The Crowd, a pretty good print of Metropolis, the flick that introduced the word "robot", and some others. I think I've never paid more than $5 for one, and usually less than $2.

What do you have?

Collapse -
My advice: Stay away from action-adventure films.

Here's the ending for any you might be tempted to see: Big fist fight; bad guy falls off a high place. Happy

Exception: The Last Action Hero, with Ahnold, which did a great job of sending up the genre, and had a good story, plot, acting (including Ahnold!) Also had a Sharon Stone cameo.

I've seen Stone's films a few times on TV, plus her Emmy-winning turn on Boston Legal. I happen to think she's a fine actress, whose career image was hurt by The Scene. Made her big bucks, though.

Collapse -
Last Action Hero was a "flop"

In reply to: My advice: Stay away from action-adventure films.

but I thought it was a very good parody of action movies

Collapse -
Flop is correct, per the $ take. We still loved it.

In reply to: Last Action Hero was a "flop"

I'm told Ahnold showed some class by showing up for all the scheduled talk shows even after it appeared the movie was tanking. Most stars send the second lead or an associate producer in those cases.

'Of course you're in a movie, Jack! The video store clerks look like supermodels and all the phone numbers begin with 555!' Happy

Collapse -
I think hurting.

I will avoid movies that feature celebrities I dislike for any reason, including their politics and association with organizations (PETA) as well as their just generally acting like butt-heads (Cruise), so that is why I don't like to discover these things about them sometimes! This is especially true in contexts that you don't expect, like political statements during music concerts, etc.

One celeb that I do like, and make a point of seeing his work is Johnny Depp. He's believable to me, even in unbelievable roles (!) and it doesn't hurt that he's VERY easy on the eyes. Happy

If he's a member of PETA....please don't tell me!!

Cindi

Collapse -
I've heard Depp is a hotel-room trasher. Sorry.

In reply to: I think hurting.

I have to admire Cruise for taking roles outside of his pretty-boy image. He recently played a callous assassin who kidnapped a cabdriver (Jamie Fox, I think). His handlers couldn't have been too happy about that.

Collapse -
I don't care much about private lives

of actors, what their nutty politics are, or what their other crazy beliefs are. I'll just watch something that I think I'll enjoy. Sometimes I go to the theater because a particular movie will look better on the big screen than on TV -- Superman, Godizilla, stuff like that.

Collapse -
re: crazy beliefs

In reply to: I don't care much about private lives

Not to pick a bone... but I find that many, many, many people have crazy beliefs or at least strange preconceptions that make no sense to me. Some are cultural... some are nurtured...

... either way, I think to typify celebrities as being more susceptible to strange political or other belief systems drastically underestimates the ability of the common man to be a total nut case. Wink

grim

Collapse -
We would all have to list your post as offensive, grim,

In reply to: re: crazy beliefs

if any of us considered himself to be a common person. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Chuckle

In reply to: We would all have to list your post as offensive, grim,

Collapse -
Too logical and sensible, Dragon. We'll have to

In reply to: I don't care much about private lives

dump you from SE. Happy

"Beliefs" as a reason for boycotting falls apart for me when I find ... umm ... ethical people (trying to avoid the R word) listening to Mozart, even though he was a compulsive gambler and party animal. (A gambling debt may have cost him his life, I'm told.) Compared to that, a Cruise rant on psychiatry seems tame.

I agree on the theater's value, especially in this day of digital effects and surround sound. I wonder if lower-cost LCDs and DLPs will finally mean the end for even the 8-plexes.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.