HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

MoveOn.Pac....We bought it....We own it

by Mac McMullen / December 9, 2004 12:11 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MoveOn.Pac....We bought it....We own it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MoveOn.Pac....We bought it....We own it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Love it.
by Kiddpeat / December 9, 2004 12:44 PM PST

The Republicans that is. What a target!

Collapse -
Re: MoveOn.Pac....We bought it....We own it...Promise?
by Paul C / December 9, 2004 4:21 PM PST

Yeah, that'll really help the Dems' efforts to be seen as more moderate and less the party of the loony left!

I think it's a forgone conclusion that the MoveOn crowd will persuade Howard Dean to run for the DNC chair. And if that happens, Gov. Dean may well win, since the politics of MoveOn are far closer to the mainstream of current Democrat thought than the DNC would like to admit; certainly they're closer to the mainstream than are more moderate factions such as the Democratic Leadership Council. What they are NOT closer to is the mainstream of the American people - a fact that'll doom the Dems to total irrelevancy if MoveOn's dreams become reality...

Collapse -
Buying a cause
by Steven Haninger / December 9, 2004 10:54 PM PST

Here's one that will raise more than a few eyebrows as well. The "March of Dimes" took on the cause of finding a cure for polio, a crippling disease. The cause was won and largely by the efforts of this organization and it gained and still has much respect. Apparantly polio was not an "Ad Hoc" issue as the organisation took ownership of other childhood health issues and birth defects in particular. Sadly, they seem to support the notion that one way to prevent some birth defects is to not be born at all. Ok....putting on the flak jacket.

Collapse -
Addendum for purposes of interpretation
by Steven Haninger / December 10, 2004 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Buying a cause

My message is not meant as a slam of the March of Dimes. It's more about organizations which evolve to address a specific cause and, when the mission is over, find a way to hang around forever. It's sort of like a "temporary" tax that never goes away but finds another cause to address that may not be as noble as the original. The M of D is just an example of a cause that, after it's purpose was fulfilled, stayed around and built a larger agenda. This agenda has some controversial aspects that many people who originally, and willingly, funded the organization's goals find some objection to now. Some of these folks may find themselves to feel they have been deceived and wish to place some distance between themselves and the organization they once supported.
MoveOn's objective was never to elect JK. It was to oust GWB. It's expertise is in creating negative images. It never created a single positive image of how wonderful life would be with Kerry in office. And so, if MoveOn decides it can now lay claim to being the rightful controller of the Democratic party agenda, I have to wonder what that full agenda might be, or become. I also wonder how they can change their image from one of creating negativity to one of creating a positive outlook. I would also have to think that more moderate dems would share such a concern.

Collapse -
Re: Buying a cause
by cbbrown / December 10, 2004 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: Buying a cause

no flak jacket required here but i thought you were American and have a question as to your spelling of "organisation"?

i understand this spelling if a person from the UK posted this

Collapse -
Oops! My spelling and gramatical
by Steven Haninger / December 10, 2004 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Buying a cause

errors are frequent and just evidence of poor skills or proofreading Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Happy

Collapse -
The "we" is regular folks like you and me
by Josh K / December 9, 2004 11:48 PM PST
Under McAuliffe's leadership, the message said, the party coddled the same corporate donors that fund Republicans to bring in money at the expense of vision and integrity.

"In the last year, grass-roots contributors like us gave more than $300 million to the Kerry campaign and the DNC, and proved that the party doesn't need corporate cash to be competitive," the message continued. "Now it's our party: we bought it, we own it, and we're going to take it back."

Seems pretty obvious to me who "we" is.
Collapse -
The "we" sure doesn't include a majority of voters!
by Paul C / December 10, 2004 2:54 AM PST

From the story:

"For years, the party has been led by elite Washington insiders who are closer to corporate lobbyists than they are to the Democratic base," said the e-mail from MoveOn PAC's Eli Pariser. "But we can't afford four more years of leadership by a consulting class of professional election losers."

This is the same tired Naderite neo-Marxist claptrap that the far left has subjected us to for years. What these people are saying is in essence, "Damn the election results, full speed to port!"

"We" - at least a solid majority of us - haven't bought this in the past and aren't buying this now; if the MoveOns of this world persist in this, they will doom the Democrats to increasing irrelevance in the future. America will never elect a European-style social democratic party, which IMO is what MoveOn wants the Democrats to become.

What this really is is the beginning of the Howard Dean for DNC Chair campaign - and the Dems' very future and credibility is at stake, IMO.

Collapse -
Re: The "we" sure doesn't include a majority of voters!
by Josh K / December 10, 2004 3:09 AM PST

That's not how I interpreted the paragraph you exerpted. I took it to mean that MoveOn feels that the Democratic party's leadership has become too chummy with powerful corporate donors and is therefore losing touch with the voters.

Collapse -
I fail to see the difference in our interpretations, Josh.
by Paul C / December 10, 2004 6:33 AM PST

If Democrats have indeed become "too chummy with powerful corporate donors and (are) therefore losing touch with the voters," then in what other direction can they go? they certainly can't move to the center, as that would entail exactly the type of compromise with established interests that Mr. Pariser so ringingly rejects. Therefore, the only path left is...leftwards, which if you've spent any amount of time plowing through the MoveOn website (as I have), you'd realize is exactly what Mr. Pariser, et al have in mind for the entire party.

When the same thing happened in Britain in the 1970's, the result was an extended exile for Labour during the Prime Ministerships of Margaret Thatcher and John Major before Labour purged the loony lefties from the party leadership. The result was the success of Tony Blair.

A similar parallel exists in the U.S. In 1984 and 1988, the Democrats nominated two candidates (Mondale and Dukakis) who were significantly to the left of the American political mainstream; the overwhelming victories of Ronald Reagan's reelection and G.H.W. Bush were the result. In 1992, the more moderate Democratic Leadership Council managed to get one of their own - Bill Clinton - nominated, and we all know what happened next. Now, we can debate whether Mr. Clinton actually governed as a moderate, however, he certainly campaigned as one, and he won back to the party fold the so-called "Reagan Democrats" - who left the fold in droves in 2000 and especially in 2004.

So now, with the lessons of recent American political history so clear to see, comes Mr. Pariser and the MoveOn types seeking to take the Democrats back to the politics of the 1980's? It didn't work then, Josh, and it definitively won't work in post-9/11 America.

Collapse -
by David Evans / December 10, 2004 3:15 AM PST

Never interfere with the enemy while they're destroying themselves.

I can't BELIEVE how easy this is. This is great, lol!

Yuk yuk yuk!~

DE

Collapse -
by cbbrown / December 10, 2004 4:22 AM PST

praying to Allah that the pendulum does not strike you on the tush when it swings back to normalcy

because "we" need your cutting sarcasm here

i think Josh has a bridge for you to buy

Collapse -
by Josh K / December 10, 2004 5:42 AM PST

Bridges? I don't got no bridges! I don't need no steenkin' bridges!

Wink

Collapse -
by cbbrown / December 10, 2004 6:53 AM PST

Josh,

thank you for replying to my post

this makes the most important acknowledgment of my validity here since the virgin mary

i joke not

nor do I take lightly same

aside the validity of those of your "persuasion" (Jewish) such "minor" things as the "star of David" and the like...

I STILL hold with your POLITICAL persuasion...

and

BEYOND...

PLUS my personal religeous bent is DEEPLY tied to your own

Collapse -
It may be you, but it sure as h*ll isn't me. I don't buy
by Kiddpeat / December 10, 2004 3:19 AM PST

into groups that are willing to paint a political opponent as Adolph Hitler!

Collapse -
Re: It may be you, but it sure as h*ll isn't me. I don't buy
by cbbrown / December 10, 2004 4:43 AM PST

gw may not be Adolph but he sure warmed over many of his policies

deny that and you deny the truth no matter what you say or present

Collapse -
Please, Don't hold back - let it out.
by null. / December 10, 2004 4:50 AM PST

and BTW be specific. We all want to know your truth

Don Erickson
California Republican and very proud of it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.