Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Mouthguard increases strength?

by JP Bill / February 14, 2007 7:37 PM PST
Mouthguard vows to put bite into sports

Makkar is eagerly convincing an at-first-disbelieving public that a mouthguard really can improve an athlete's performance and strength.

Lori Graham of P.E.I., whose sport of choice is boxing, is at first skeptical.

"I have a mouthguard from my dentist. How is this one better?" she asks.

Makkar has Graham stand with her arms straight out on either side of her and gets her to resist as he pushes down. He then has her stand with arms straight out in front of her, hands in fists, and again gets her to resist as he pushes down. Finally he stands next to her, gets her to form a fist and pulls straight up on her arm.

Each time he is able to push her arms down or up.

Then he gets her to hold a pen in her teeth and tries all the tests again. This time, Graham is easily able to resist him.

"You're not trying!" she says, still skeptical until an obliging reporter steps in to show her the pen somehow is making a difference.

Makkar also demonstrates how holding the pen in her mouth helps Graham easily move her head farther from side to side.

"I thought it was a gimmick!" she says.

"Everybody does," Makkar replies.

The pen test is a parlour trick that demonstrates the principles of neuromuscular dentistry.

Makkar says the concept has been around since the 1940s, this is just the first time anyone has applied the knowledge in this particular way.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouthguard increases strength?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouthguard increases strength?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
it's "different muscles doing the same job"
by jonah jones / February 14, 2007 10:47 PM PST

a simple test, (shown to me by a Rolfing expert) point your big toe as far as it can go, -aiming for a straight line between knee and big toe- now tell them to pull there heel towards the calf muscle, big toe goes further? ......

jonah

Collapse -
Not a new phenomenon. Olympic weightlifters found out about
by Ziks511 / February 4, 2011 4:54 AM PST

it in the 60's or 70's and have used custom bite-guards ever since. You used to be able to buy them in Drug Stores too.

But, in the words of Slappy Squirrel on Animaniacs "So whadda ya want? I'm old."

Rob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!