Computer Help forum

Question

Mouse working on its own

by neveshalom / October 31, 2012 4:15 AM PDT

Blessings,
When I start up my computer, my mouse seems to have a mind of its own. It 'walks' by itself for a moment or two, then suddenly stops.
I scanned for trojans, malware, etc with Malware bytes. I have Panda Global Security. I run WinXPPro.
This is quite puzzling to me, and I want this to stop. It started a few days ago, and is still going on.

I welcome any suggestions as to how to solve this problem.
thanks,
Deborah

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse working on its own
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse working on its own
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What mouse?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 4:24 AM PDT

Often you see this on older gear, touchpads or such and is not a sign of an infection.

Collapse -
Clarification on mouse (hardware)
by neveshalom / October 31, 2012 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: What mouse?

I use a wired mouse by Logitech. I live in a high rise building with lots of wireless internet going on, so I am a bit paranoid about using wireless.

Collapse -
My old mouse did that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 2:16 AM PDT

I found it to be better with Grif's note as well as placing it on a mouse pad so it could see the surface better. As parts age, stuff like this happens. Some consumers get unsettled about it but I think nothing of it. That is, if it works I carry on and replace it when it fails to do what I want.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tried This Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 4:40 AM PDT

Open the Control Panel, then double click on the "Mouse" icon, then select the "Pointer Options" tab.. Once there, UNCHECK the box next to "Enhance pointer precision", Click on "Apply", the OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
I solved it when it happened to me
by Devasya / January 24, 2014 1:52 PM PST

It seemed to me that it is a software problem
so i managed to get the proper driver for my logitech mouse for its website
ran a virus scan (complete scan) with my free avg anti virus
restarted the computer and since then the mouse has been working perfectly
hope this helps

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.