Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Mouse wheel zoom in Word 2007

by Vince.Rosati / August 14, 2010 10:06 AM PDT

HP Pavilion, 2.7 GHz (?), 6 GB RAM, Win 7 64 bit; Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000, Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000; Microsoft Office 2007 Professional.

The control/mousewheel combination to zoom no longer functions in Word 2007. It continues to work in Excel 2007 and PPT 2007, as well as Foxit PDF Reader.

COuld I have st some switch in Word while I was fooling around with Options??

I tried re-loading the Intellipoint software, as well as "repairing" Office 2007 via the Win 7 Control Panel.

Thanks for any herlp or guidance.

Vince

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse wheel zoom in Word 2007
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse wheel zoom in Word 2007
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vince, I'm Not On Such A Machine At the Moment But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 14, 2010 10:38 AM PDT

...on Monday, I've got an office computer with both Windows 7 and Office 2007 Pro.

I'll let you know what I find on that machine.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Mousewheel zoom
by Vince.Rosati / August 15, 2010 2:20 AM PDT

Grif, Thanks for replying. This one has me puzzled.

In the meantime, I noticed that in the lower right corner of my display there is a zoom slider. It works, but is not as convenient as the wheel.

From my past inquiries, you may have noticed that I can't leave well enough alone. The likelihood that I set some switch in Word 2007 is very high. If only I could remember!

Thanks again for always being there.

Best regards,

Vince

Collapse -
According to Word 2007 Help
by ChuckT / August 15, 2010 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Mousewheel zoom

According to Word 2007 Help you can zoom in or out with the wheel by holding down CTRL at the same time.

Now, that being said, and I have MS Word 2007 installed on this Win7 PC, and I also have an MS Intellimouse with MS Intellipoint v7.0 software, and my mouse wheel does NOT zoom as instructed.

So then I checked MS for the latest IntelliPoint software, and there is now a v7.10.344. So I downloaded and installed it.

"Ctrl+Wheel" still does not zoom.

Collapse -
Control + Mouse Wheel
by Vince.Rosati / August 15, 2010 11:00 PM PDT

Chuck,

Does the combination work for you in Excel and Power Point? For me it does. I also use Foxit reader for PDF files, and it works for it, too.

Vince

Collapse -
Well,Sorry, It Works For Me Here..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 16, 2010 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Control + Mouse Wheel

Running Windows 7 Pro and Office 2007 Pro on a HP computer with an HP USB wired mouse... I can hold down the "Ctrl" key and use the mouse wheel to "zoom" (increase or decrease the text size) in Word, Excel, Power Point, and Adobe Reader 9.3.3 pdf files.. I'm using the "Print layout" view when performing the task.

The ability to zoom works in both the older .doc files and the newer 2007 formatted .docx files.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Control-Mousewheel zoom
by Vince.Rosati / August 16, 2010 7:04 AM PDT

Grif,

Yes, it SHOULD work, and it used to. But no longer. That's why I'm so puzzled.

Vince

Collapse -
Ctrl+Wheel Zooming
by ChuckT / August 16, 2010 3:55 PM PDT

I did a Google search on the problem and found that a lot of people seem to have the same problem. I also read that some people seem to finally get it to work, somewhat haphazardly, by spinning the wheel very fast... huh?

So I tried it, and sure enough, holding down the Ctrl button, and then turning the mouse wheel really fast ... it does change the zoom level!!

Turning the wheel slow does nothing, turning it fast and it does, not with great precision, but it does change the zoom.

So, it seems that the culprit is the Word 2007 programming (I tried my Word 2003 and it does not have a problem at all), perhaps it is the Intellipoint software. If enough people report this, perhaps MS will try to fix it.

Grif, are you using a MS mouse and Intellipoint software?

Collapse -
I just re-read your details
by ChuckT / August 16, 2010 3:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Ctrl+Wheel Zooming
Grif, I now noticed you are not using an MS mouse. So, perhaps it is the MS mouse hardware and/or software.
Collapse -
No Intellipoint Software Here...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 17, 2010 1:06 AM PDT

Usually, no such software is required to recognize the mouse and allow it to be operational.. Removing the software is worth a try, as long as you have the Intellipoint installer should you need to reinstall it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) No Mouse Software At All Here..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 17, 2010 1:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ctrl+Wheel Zooming
by sonja2161 / June 24, 2013 10:35 AM PDT

thank you, this was helpful.

I have the same problem and found holding the Ctrl button, and then turning the mouse wheel really fast does change the zoom level.

At least I now I know the issue is with Word7 and not with some required setup.

Your research is very much appreciated.

Collapse -
Re: in Excel and Powerpoint
by ChuckT / August 16, 2010 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Control + Mouse Wheel

Yes, the Ctrl+Wheel zooming does work in Excel and Powerpoint.

I also found that of the View options in Word (Print Layout, Full Screen, Web Layout, Outline, and Draft) the Ctrl+Wheel does zoom in only the Full Screen viewing mode.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?