Computer Help forum

General discussion

Mouse Troubles

My ps/2 mouse abrubtly stops working. It works for a little while and then the cursor stops moving. The mouse is still active as the optical light still brightens up as it passes over the mousepad surfeace. Currently, im using a usb mouse. I tried plugging in another old scroll mouse into the ps/2 port, but that mouse does not work at all. What is causing this, i/o conflicts? I don't think i can change it on this computer, its a cto compaq, i got ~2 years ago. I currently have downloaded the newest drivers for the mouse/keyboard to try and fix. I'll let you know if this solves the problem. Could it be a virus/malware/etc...?Thnx to all.

Roger

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse Troubles
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse Troubles
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Mouse Troubles

I have currently concluded that its not the mouse, b/c the mouse works on another computer. Its not a virus/adware,etc... because i tried using on linux os, and mouse still does not work. I haven't installed any hardware so there should be no inq errors. I think the ps/2 port is busted. I will just buy a usb mouse to fix my problem. Thnx anyways everyone. BTW the forum looks a lot nicer now i think, but i think it may be a bit slower.

Roger

Collapse -
Now both the keyboard and mouse do not work

I cannot even use the keyboard to access bios so its not a windows problem... I think i somehow managed to fry the ps/2 controller chip that is responsible for handling the mosue and keyboard. The mouse and keyboard no longer works. SOmetime the keyboard would turn on, but then turn off, sometimes the light on scroll lock turns on, but the keyboard is not recognized in windows, there is no keyboard listed under the devices and in the keyboard section of the control panel where u can roll back drivers. I think i now need to get both a usb mouse and keyboard or a ps/2 adapter (pci). Does any1 know how to get my mouse or keyboard wroking again. They are plugged in properly. They do not work for windows/linux/nor in bios. The mouse is being supplied power. THe keyboard, soemthimes get power, and neither works. I am currently using a usb mouse and the on-screen keyboard. Thnx everyone.

Roger

Collapse -
RE: Update

In reply to: Now both the keyboard and mouse do not work

I just got a wireless keyboard and mouse. But whenever i start up, i still get an error. It says keyboard interface error. Does any1 know whats the problem. Its really burdernsome for me to boot up windows with that error because i have to go in bios and exit bios in order for windows to start. Is this a virus? Did my motherboard go bad?

Collapse -
(NT) BUMP

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.