Peripherals forum

General discussion

Mouse stopped working after restore

by steverbk / September 18, 2008 8:14 AM PDT

I did a full restore of my IBM ThinkPad Laptop. Everything went fine with this, but when Windows boots up my mouse does not work. I have tried plugging in an external mouse, but this does not seem to work either.

When you first boot up the computer you can got into a program called "Access IBM" (basically a pre-installed computer diagnostic program). In this program that mouse works fine, however as soon as Windows boots up the mouse does not respond to anything

Can anyone please help??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse stopped working after restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse stopped working after restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm confused . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 18, 2008 9:35 PM PDT

Your mouse does not work, but you plug in an external mouse and it doesn't work. What kind of mouse does not work?

Collapse -
Re: I'm confused...
by steverbk / September 18, 2008 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused . . .

The computer is a laptop. The touchpad mouse doesn't work. And when I tried to plug a USB mouse in it lights up, but does not work either.

Collapse -
Some thoughts . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 18, 2008 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: I'm confused...

Have you gone to Mouse/Touch Pad Properties (in Control Panel) and looked at the settings?

I'm well familiar with IBM laptops (I've had 5) and the restoral partition. But I've never heard of your problem. You might go to the IBM site http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=%2Fproductselection%2Flandingpages%2FhotNewsLandingPage.vm&sitestyle=lenovo&validate=false and input the laptop specs. Look for updated drivers.

Collapse -
More questions.
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2008 9:38 PM PDT

- How exactly did you do the 'full restore'?
- PS/2 mouse, USB mouse or both don't work (worth a try if you only checked one type)

Kees

Collapse -
Re: More Questions
by steverbk / September 18, 2008 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: More questions.

Its an IBM Laptop and IBM has a system program loaded that you can get to before windows opens. I did a full restore from that program. I'm thinking this has to be an operating system issue...?

Collapse -
After a full restore ...
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2008 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: More Questions

(immediately after, I mean) this shouldn't be an OS issue. The next thought is a hardware issue.

It will be interesting to see how this is finally solved. Keep us posted please.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:
by steverbk / September 18, 2008 11:48 PM PDT

The reason I feel like this is an OS issue is because the IBM program that I get to before Windows opens recognizes my mouse. The mouse works and I go into BIOS and it shows the mouse as being disabled. Weird situation...

Thanks so much for trying to help!

Collapse -
Anything disabled in the BIOS-setup ...
by Kees Bakker / September 19, 2008 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

should been seen by Windows. So (if you really mean the BIOS-setup) that fits.
It's much stranger that another (non-Windows program) sees it, despite the BIOS-settings.

Something is wrong here.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?