General discussion

mouse no longer wakes up computer??(dell) desktop

I have a dell desktop 530s or 5 can't tell which
I have vista,my computer is 1 year old

mouse no longer wakes up computer??
For months now I go to start go over to ist the power button, I click that and it makes my computer sleep or hybernate?? It just started giving me problems ,I can't just shake my mouse anymore and wake it up I would have to push tower button to wake up or boot it back up. I don't know why that just started.All I want to do is shake my mouse or touch keyboard and bring my desktop back up.I have checked in device manager and both the keypad and mouse are checked to bring computer out of sleep mode but it does not.

in power management power button settings says when I choose power button do this and (choice is sleep)

I just went to start,sleep and it went to sleep, I shook my mouse and touched my keyboard nothing, I think i hit the esc key and the screen came back up. I tried it again and nothing I did would bring my computer back up my screen kept saying check cable, I did and I finally had to push tower button off and on again, my screen finally came back on but not fully all at once and I heard beeping, I finally came back on.

I went into set up (scary) and under power management I saw this
remote wakeup -ON
auto power on- disabled
if I have to change something please step by step instructions.I am not good at going into parts unknown on my computer and would need step by step directions on how to fix this and how to get back to desktop if I have to go back into setup.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: mouse no longer wakes up computer??(dell) desktop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: mouse no longer wakes up computer??(dell) desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
gave wrong info

I said
I can't just shake my mouse anymore and wake it up I would have to push tower button to wake up or boot it back up.

I posted this wrong above (I can't push tower button on tower) to wake up, that only works on complete shut down.

Thanks!

- Collapse -
Ouch
- Collapse -
Thanks

I have mailwarebites on my computer and did a quick scan the other day, now when I click it I get this error code 714 (0.9) thats strange..
Thanks!

- Collapse -
That's a clue.

Using that as a clue I double down and ask that you follow Grif's advice on the 2 other titles of SuperAntiSpyware and RKILL.
Bob

- Collapse -
getting error for mailwarebites

I have that mailwarebites and ran a quick scan the other day, noothing was found, now when I click it I get this error error code 714 (0.9) thats strange, what does that mean?
Thanks

- Collapse -
SuperAntispyware Manual Updater ???

thanks sorry for double post

do I still need this I downloaded the spyware and clicked update and it said it is updated
SuperAntispyware Manual Updater http://www.superantispyware.

Thanks!

- Collapse -
found

I ran the superantispyware and it found
131 adware tracking cookies , what do I do, highlight that and delete.
Thanks again.

- Collapse -
Cookies are harmless things so far.

Delete please but what about that launch failure earlier. How did you fix that?

- Collapse -
nothing yet

as of now I have done nothing about the error above, was there a sequence I was
to follow??

also what is this RKILL.I looked at the link you posted and did not see that to download only the spyware.

Thanks!

- Collapse -
What to do next.

Armed with your malwarebytes failure post in the Cnet Spyware Forum about that. Here you have a small exposure and in the right forum you'll get the best answers to the malwarebytes issue which is a fine clue to your other problems. I've lost count how many times malware has cause machine problems.

As to RKILL, ask there too.

Bob

PS. Link to Cnet forum -> http://forums.cnet.com/spyware-viruses-security-forum/?tag=rb_mtx;f06-fd

CNET Forums

Forum Info