Computer Help forum

General discussion

Mouse clicks disappearing - strange behaviour

by jaapvansilfhout / February 13, 2010 9:32 PM PST

I have 2 desktops both working on BOINC projects (malariacontrol). These are low priority processes eating all spare CPU-cycles. One desktop is a dual-core machine, the second a single-core both with 2GB RAM running Vista Home (enough free memory). The disks of both machines still have a lot of spare capacity. Both machines seem to freeze every now and then. On the first machine, I am always playing music from internet (accuradio.com through IE) and this stops sometimes completely (I get a pause in the music for up to 5 seconds). On the second machine, the mouse (Logitech cordless) sometimes does not react at all (it simply misses clicks or double clicks). On that machine, I have installed ThreadMaster which restricts permanently running processes such as malariacontrol to use no more than, say, 90% of the CPU-cycles. This improves the performance of the mouse, but it is still missing clicks. On the first machine, I use relatively heavy applications such as Nikon Scan (photo scanning) and Corel Paint Shop Pro. These applications (and others such as Windows explorer) sometimes do not react for a long time (up to 10 seconds!) while Windows displays ?not reacting? in the top line of the window of that application.

Before I started using these 2 machines under Vista, I have used XP based machines with basically the same configuration for years. And I never experienced this kind of odd behaviour at all. It seems as if the schduler in Windows sometimes 'forgets' processes to have them run. So, my questions are:

Is anybody else experiencing the same strange behaviour?
If so, what could I do to solve the problem?
And, finally, could I expect Windows 7 not to exhibit this problem?

Thanks for your advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse clicks disappearing - strange behaviour
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse clicks disappearing - strange behaviour
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Common causes I run into.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2010 9:43 PM PST

1. The IDE hard drives have slipped from DMA to lower DMA modes to PIO.
Since Windows XP was unreliable in reporting what it is at, the fix is to set all channels to PIO, OK your way back and then go back to set to DMA. I will no longer write dissertations on this. Here's the link -> http://winhlp.com/node/10

2. The mouse actually is old and the clicker doesn't....

3. It's a single core machine and the "event queue" is full. No, there is no real fix for that. More CPU cores help.

4. Yes. It can happen in 7. There is no perfect OS.

5. Why not reduce the CPU load when it matters?
Bob

Collapse -
Not solved yet
by jaapvansilfhout / February 14, 2010 4:41 PM PST

Thanks for your quick reply.
I have checked things and must conclude that the disks run in some ultra dma mode, and the mouse is not old. I understand that more cpu cores could help. But this is not easy to implement.

Collapse -
"I have checked things and must conclude that the disks run
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2010 8:54 PM PST
In reply to: Not solved yet

"I have checked things and must conclude that the disks run in some ultra dma mode"

Remember that you can't CHECK that. If you look at the panel that shows this, it can LIE. This has caused too many to skip past a simple solution. Again, I've shared this with you and if you can't get it done that's ok. At least you know that you can't count on just checking it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?