Computer Help forum

General discussion

Mouse and keyboard, help!

I have a problem, I have a logitech mouse and keyboard (Logitech cordless desktop optical), when the computer is off and I press the spacebar or move the mouse, the computer goes on. I don't want this to happen, how can i switch it off? I tried the mouse software (drivers) which came with the keyboard and mouse, but I have no solution. I would apreciate some help thenk you.
Marc
Computer specification:Nombre del sistema operativo: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Versi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse and keyboard, help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse and keyboard, help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Mouse and keyboard, help!

In reply to: Mouse and keyboard, help!

hope your BIOS isn't in spanish unless you know it. If you don't know how to safely mess with BIOS [at boot, before windows], a tech can change the settings quickly [cheaply?]. The settings for automatic poweron are in BIOS.

Collapse -

About the BIOS can u help me??

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Mouse and keyboard, help!

You mention the wireless keyboard and mouse drivers. Are you using a keyboard function key (like a cresent moon) to 'shutdown' the computer? If so, I think you are only putting the computer in SLEEP mode. So then every time you hit the keyboard or mouse, the computer 'wakes up' from sleep. It isn't like using the Start/Shutdown method to shutdown your machine.

To actually shut it down, use the Start/shutdown method. That way, hitting the keyboard or mouse shouldn't start the computer. That is as long as the BIOS isn't set to make the machine come on with a keyboard or mouse event. If that is the case, you better learn spanish or know someone who speaks it so you can change that Wink

Larry

Collapse -

i know perfectly spanish as i am from spain, and my BIOS is in English, can u still help me out??

Collapse -
Wake on Mouse and keyboard, help!

There is NO STANDARD for what words they use to present the BIOS SETTINGS. But when I don't want a machine to boot on mouse or keyboard, I look to the power settings in the BIOS SCREEN.

To be clear, such are not set in Windows.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Wake on Mouse and keyboard, help!

In reply to: Wake on Mouse and keyboard, help!

well i know hw to speak spanish and my bios is in english could u tell me where in the power menu??

Collapse -

Letago:

If you don't know how to change your computer's BIOS settings (or if you don't know what they are), you should find someone who DOES know.

You have to get into the computer setup, usually by pressing the DEL key as the computer first starts. In the menu that you should be seeing, you might see a item that says something like "POWER SETTINGS". Highlight that (and press ENTER), and then look for something that might say something like "Wake on Keyboard" or "Wake on mouse". Make sure they say "no" or "off" or "disable".

Then hit the "F10" key to save the settings and reboot the computer.

That hopefully will solve your problems.

Larry
larrybell_2000@yahoo.com

Collapse -

Larry,

Other Set-up combinations
{F1}, {F10 - compaq/H/P}, Older systems {F2}, {Esc} {Ctrl-Esc}, {Alt-Esc}, {Ctrl-Alt-Esc}, {Ctrl-Alt-Enter}, {Ins - newer system to recover OC settings} also One really old system that had to be booted to DOS using Ctrl-Alt-Esc to access BIOS.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/setup.htm

Letago:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/set/index.htm
Explains BIOS set-up screens
And I remember another post with a different web page.
Hopefully you can find it or someone will supply link.

Bill

Collapse -
Getting to the BIOS Settings

Bill

Yes. I remember that there have been several ways to get to BIOS, but I couldn't BEGIN! to remember them all, or know where to start suggesting! I remember one of my first Windows clones had like a CTL-S to get to BIOS. And until just seconds ago, I couldn't remember any BIOS makers but AWARD (AMIBIOS was the one I just remembered).

I was kind of guessing that maybe his machine was reasonably new. And of course I couldn't check my own machine while using it to see what the screens said Happy
(I tried to check on my other machine, but I set the BIOS Admin password and CAN'T REMEMBER IT!! LOL )

I have to remember to print out these links you guys provide for reference. Handy to have for the future.

Looks like the original poster used Belarc advisor to get all the listed information on his machine.

Have fun.

Larry

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.