Smart Home & Appliances forum

Resolved Question

mounting tv on metal studs

by doitmyself1ii / April 17, 2014 11:49 PM PDT

Hi All, Have read the forum with interest.

I am about to mount a 60 inch tv on my drywall (3 layers) with metal studs, and will put a sheet of 3/4 plywood on the wall first (to spread the weight accross three studs) then the mount onto the plywood.

My experience with toggle bolts has been ok on another tv, but wondering if I could take another router for this tv - what do you think of using mutliple sheet metal screws ( 3 vertical studs, say 10 screws x three lines) to attach the plywood to the metal studs. the tv is 61.7 pounds.

thanks!

doitmyself1ii has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mounting tv on metal studs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mounting tv on metal studs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by doitmyself1ii

Collapse -
Frankly this sounds far superior to toggle bolts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2014 12:35 AM PDT

Drywall is not a good support medium and over time I'd worry about toggle bolts and the drywall holding up. Remember I think in decades.

The plywood should be capable of 10 times that weight so in other words, good idea.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks!
by doitmyself1ii / April 18, 2014 2:04 AM PDT

Thanks Bob!

Also i found this useful site which gives step by step instructions:

https://www.disastersafety.org/earthquake/securing-flat-screen-televisions/

Securing Flat Screen Televisions
Securely mounting a television or computer monitor to the wall reduces the risk of injury and damage.

Before beginning work

The television should weigh less than 110 lbs and have a 60-inch diagonal screen size or smaller.

Check to make sure framing studs behind the drywall are not more than 24 inches on center apart.

If the tv weighs more than 110 lbs. or the studs are more than 24 inches on center, have the television professionally installed.

Materials List

Stud finder

Drill plus 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch diameter drill bits

3/4-inch thick x nominal 12-inch wide x 28-inch long (minimum) wood board (plywood or solid wood; NOT OSB or particle board)

Find additional guidance in the IBHS Guide, Earthquake Risks around the U.S. - How to Protect Your Property.

FOR WOOD STUD APPLICATIONS:

10 #14 or 1/4-inch diameter, 3-inch wood or deck screws
FOR METAL STUD APPLICATIONS:

14 1/4-inch diameter x 2-inch self-tapping screws intended for sheet metal applications (2) or (4) 5/16-inch diameter carriage bolts at least 1 inch (or longer depending on the thickness of the wall mount bracket) with flat washers and lock washers or lock nuts: the number of bolts depends on how many are required for the wall mount bracket.
Prep work

CUTTING THE WOOD

Cut the wood board used to mount the bracket to the wall, according to the requirements listed in Step 1. The board will be anchored to two adjacent studs.

The minimum nominal width of the wood board must be 12 inches (actual width 11-1/4" for a solid wood board)

Use a stud finder to locate two framing studs where the television is to be mounted.

Make sure the studs are no more than 24 inches apart.

Measure the existing television wall mount plate. The width of the wood board should be at least two inches greater than the vertical plate dimension. See illustration below.

Note: A metal detector may be required to find locations of metal studs in wall
PREPPING THE WOOD

Pre-drill holes in the wood board

Draw straight lines perpendicular to the long side of the board near each end of the wood board.

The distance between these two lines should equal the spacing between the center lines of two framing studs previous located in the wall.

Maintain a minimum 2-inch edge distance between each line and the edge of board.

Measure and locate wood screw installation holes along the two lines near each end of wood board as shown in the accompanying illustration.

Use the 1/4-inch drill bit to create holes in the board for the screws that are used to attach the board to the wall.

Position the television wall mount plate on the wood board at the desired location and outline the plate and locate the bolt holes.

Use the 3/8-inch drill bit to create the bolt holes for the 5/16-inch diameter carriage bolts to secure the wall mount assembly to the wood board.

PREPPING THE WALL

Locate the board on the wall

Position the wood board with pre-drilled holes described above vertically at the desired position.

The two lines near the ends of the board should be aligned with the centers of the two wall studs.

Mark locations where carriage bolt b. heads will come in contact with the drywall.

Mark the locations of the screws that will be used to fasten the board to the wall studs.

Pre-drill the holes on the wall and recess drywall to accommodate carriage bolt heads.

Use the 1/8-inch diameter drill bit to create holes for the screws along the two framing studs.

There should be more resistance to the drill when it hits the wood or metal stud behind the drywall.

All 10 holes [wood studs] or 14 holes [metal studs] must catch the framing stud behind the drywall, otherwise relocate the board.

Use a hard object with a small diameter to create a recess in drywall at the locations marked for the head of each carriage bolt.

Installation

Bolt the television wall mount plate to the wood board using the 5/16-inch diameter carriage bolts.

Use an appropriately sized flat washer next to the metal wall mount plate followed by the lock washer and nut or the lock nut.

After the wood board is secured to the wall, the television can be bolted onto the wall mount assembly following the manufacturer's recommendations.

© 2012 Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?