Mac OS forum

Question

Mountain Lion install fails saying disk irreparably damaged

by jolysmoke / May 17, 2013 10:46 PM PDT

i tried today to install ML direct online from Apple Store on a MBPro running the latest Snow Leopard 10.6.8. When it demanded the required restart to install the new OS, after a few minutes it reported failure on the grounds my disk was damaged beyond repair.
Check with First Aid reported all OK. Further check of permission said it would take 5 hours to complete which I found exorbitantly long so ended it.
Our 15" MBP seems made in Aug 2009, bought in early 2010 from Apple. Always functioned fine till now and still seems to on SL to which it has returned.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mountain Lion install fails saying disk irreparably damaged
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mountain Lion install fails saying disk irreparably damaged
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I would be inclined to believe the ML installer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 10:58 PM PDT

when it says that your disk is damaged.

5 hours for a Permissions Repair would indicate that there is something going on there.

I'm sure the MBP is functioning right now but you may find that it takes longer and longer to start up or to do something.

Start the MBP up using the DVD that came with it and then run Disk Utility from the DVD. Although the abilities of DU is extremely limited, you may get a different answer while booted from an external source.

A replacement hard drive for that machine is relatively cheap and easy to install. See Link:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2009+Hard+Drive+Replacement/1337/1

Once installed, install 10.6 back onto it and then use your Time Machine backup to replace everything back onto your new hard drive.
On completion, upgrade to ML

P

Collapse -
I've managed this time to install ML as took risk of retry
by jolysmoke / May 18, 2013 4:15 AM PDT

Hi, thanks for that. You may be right but before I got your message (saw it just now), I noticed that the ML installer was still visible in the dock end, so I decided to have one more try and this time not leave the machine but watch every step to see what went wrong.
This time it got to the install Mac OS X window with its big saltire cross, and said 34 mins install time. It got to 32 mins and remained stuck there for 10 mins or so but then the blue line started moving steadily forward until only 8 mins were left and then it suddenly jumped back to 22 mins. But it regathered forces and moved on again and finally installed it in a single linear movement without retreating again. I did the iCloud stuff etc and lo! i have an MBP with ML installed. Proceeded to update latest software too. And here i am on the net with it replying to you. Don't know why it complained & failed the first time but this time there was no remark about the disk being damaged.
I don't know if I can check it with the old install disk and I have no disk for ML as it was from the web??

Collapse -
Good Job.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 18, 2013 10:16 PM PDT

thanks for getting back with an update.

I seem to recall the ML installer progress bar moving in both directions when I installed it on an iMac here.

Yes, you can still use the old install disc to boot the machine from, it takes the OS from the DVD and loads it into memory and totally ignores what is on the hard drive.

Running Disk Utility from a source that you are not booted from, the DVD, allows Disk Utility to actually do some repairs if necessary. You can't repair a disk, with DU, that you are booted from.

Anyway, enjoy ML, there is quite a bit to learn.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.