HolidayBuyer's Guide

Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Motorola SB5101U modem completely bricked

by salilsurendran / September 8, 2012 3:14 PM PDT

Hello,
I recently moved to my new home and I asked Comcast to disconnect my service at my old place and transfer it to my new place. I connected my Motorola SB5101U modem and wireless router at my new home and it worked well for a week. I had to disconnect my modem and then reconnect it. After that my modem is completely bricked. All lights are solid green(none are blinking). If connected to wireless my computer will connect to the wireless but will not be able to access the internet. Wireless icon in task bar will display a yellow exclamation icon. I tried everything disconnecting the wireless router, plugging the network cable directly to a laptop, spent an hour and half with tech support. However there is no way to access the internet. I tried directly accessing the modem by entering the ip http://192.168.100.1, http://192.168.0.1 after directly connecting my laptop to my modem via the ethernet cable and even that is unsuccessful. When I enter ipconfig on a command prompt on my system it shows no default gateway in the sense that it doesn't recognize my modem at all? What I believe happened is that when I reconnected my modem after first disconnecting comcast flashed my modem with firmware which then caused issues with the modem. Comcast is sending tech support of Tuesday who will most probably give me a new modem but I don't believe that this is needed. Is there a way to reset the modem to factory defaults. There is no reset button on the modem and the web page of the modem is not accessible.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motorola SB5101U modem completely bricked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motorola SB5101U modem completely bricked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.