Phones forum

General discussion

Motorola RAZR V3

by idmitriy / January 17, 2006 3:46 AM PST

Has anyone experienced getting dust behind the glass of the internal or external screen?

You can't really see it unless the screen is off. I just wanted to know if it's just my phone or is it in general manufacturer defect (poor isolation that let the particles to get inside the phone).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motorola RAZR V3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motorola RAZR V3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Installing Applications
by idmitriy / January 17, 2006 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Motorola RAZR V3

Does anyone know how to install java applications on RAZR? I tried to use bluetooth to sent it to the phone but I keep getting error messages.

Collapse -
Dust behind the glass of the internal or external screen
by idmitriy / January 19, 2006 6:16 AM PST

Any replies?

Collapse -
Yeah me too
by rcast1986 / January 28, 2006 3:56 PM PST

Hey man, yeah I just discovered that on mine as well. The difference is I really do notice it when the phone's on...in fact there's this pretty decently large particle in there that is very very noticeable and annoying...this should be covered in the warranty...

Collapse -
hmmm
by Harajuku_man / January 29, 2006 12:18 PM PST
In reply to: Yeah me too

this happend with my v180 but you can take the cover off and clean it. i take it u cant do that with the razr

Collapse -
V3 dust
by rcast1986 / January 29, 2006 2:27 PM PST
In reply to: hmmm

Nuh uh, I tried looking but I'm not going to risk breaking my phone and voiding the warranty...

Collapse -
I have 2 Black Razr's. Both have dust
by mariojerez / January 29, 2006 6:44 AM PST

I have 2 Razr's. they are about 5 months old. on one the problem is so severe, that under bright ambient light the dust reflects so much light that it obscures almost the entire lower right quarter of the screen. on the other one, it is spread fairly evenly and only noticeable when the backlighting is off. I'm calling Cingular Customer Service tomorrow and asking for replacements.

Collapse -
Razr Dust - Easy Fix
by bjrichardson / February 22, 2006 1:49 AM PST

This irritating design flaw is easily corrected.

After 1 month of carrying my Razr in my pants pocket I noticed lots of dust/lint on the inside of the screen cover. I paid a pretty penny for the phone and didn?t want to take any chances, and was pleased to learn that there was an easy fix.

The screen cover is glued down with soft malleable glue. You can run a needle around the edge of the cover starting at the top and carefully peel back the cover, it will come off easily once you get the edge up. Wipe off the inside of the screen, then firmly press the cover back down. The glue is soft and it holds like it did before. It took me about 3 minutes and it looks like new. I was careful and did not damage the cover, but if I had, I found were you can buy another of $3.95.

There is some debate as to where the dust makes entry. Either it?s the fingernail holes on either side of the screen, that make for opening the flip easier, or the ear speaker at the top. I think it is the former. I pressed in some small pieces of tape into the fingernail holes. So far so good.

Good Luck
Chris
Western_slope@hotmail.com

Collapse -
what we do for fashion...
by jbroshear / February 27, 2006 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Razr Dust - Easy Fix

now we have to take our phoens apart. but man, they look sharp.

Collapse -
I know this is a old topic but...
by Stefmcl / March 13, 2006 4:21 AM PST

where did you find were you can buy another screen cover for $3.95. My Razrs screen cover got damaged and I need a new 1.

Collapse -
Easy Fix works!
by froaderick / May 26, 2006 4:39 AM PDT

I had the dust problem. I recieved the phone from a friend as a promotion... thus I had no proof of purchase and any option for an exchange was denied eventhough my phone was only manufactured 5 months ago. I was screwed and my only option was the easy method.
I did it and it worked great!
some tips:
make sure you use a pin as they mention above. Don't try anything else... i.e small pen knife, razor blade etc. A pin or sewing neddle really works best.

I used some rubbing (ethyl) alcohol and a cue tip to clean the screen. Worked well, and dried fast.

Start at the top of screen where the ''MOTOROLA'' word is. That part is not part of the viewing area.... so incase you stick the neddle in too far you won't scratch your viewing screen, only the logo... but really not even a concern.

the plastic cover that you pop off really sticks back down easy. no effort.

Time spent on phone with carrier: 68 minutes
Time spent actually fixing problem:2 online to find this post & 3 actaully doing the fix!

Collapse -
razr dust!
by btwist / June 6, 2006 6:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Easy Fix works!

Hi
Just bought a razr v3 offa ebay - there was no mention of dust under the screen in the ad - however there is lots! The guy has conveniently gone away for a week so I cannot contact him but if cleaning underneath is really that easy I might have a go - so it worked for you fine?

Collapse -
no problem, but plug holes
by froaderick / June 12, 2006 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: razr dust!

yeah, no problem, but make sure you plug the finger nail holeon the side to prevent further dust, or else you will have to clean again(like i did)

Collapse -
This method really works.
by slitchfield / December 23, 2006 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: Easy Fix works!

Using the pin/needle method to get the display off worked exactly as advertised. The only addition I would make is to be careful with the Q-tips, as the cotton fibers may get caught in the glue. Compressed air will get most of the dust out with a minimum potential for screw-ups.

The chief cause for the dust seems to be related to carrying the phone in pants pockets. I had a small amount of dust under the screen early-on, but when I ditched the holster and put the phone in my pocket, the screen became almost unreadable after a few months. This is obviously a design flaw as I have never seen any other phone with the same problem.

Collapse -
Worked like a charm!
by bzktboy / August 18, 2006 7:19 AM PDT

I was a little hesitant to try this, but it actually worked perfectly. Just be sure you don't scrape at the film too much, just use the needle as more of a leverage tool to get under the film and gently pry it up. Thanks a million! I can see my screen again!

Collapse -
Re: Razr Dust - Easy Fix - THANKS!
by jabenoit / August 22, 2006 12:39 PM PDT

Thanks for the post - I spent 40 minutes trying to "buff" out the scratches I thought were the problem, only to discover I my real problem was dust below.

1 pin, 5 seconds to take the screen off, a little rubbing alcohol and a few Q-tips later, and I'm a happy camper!

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Dust fix.
by Paullos / October 2, 2006 2:58 PM PDT

Thanks for advice...was ready to send razor to motorola as was out of warranty 1 month w/cingular who blew me off!! The fix is simple and the result was perfect!!
Hope your word spreads as this is a widespread issue.
Paul

Collapse -
western slope has the answer - easy
by markman701 / November 1, 2006 1:39 AM PST

thanks Chris for the solution to this problem. i recommend doing it yourself its so easy.Don't bother sending it in for repair Follow chris' instructions. Just peel back lencover. The soft glue is easily pulled apart...dust the inside, and replace...3 minutes...easy

Collapse -
it works
by BobbyBoSox / December 31, 2006 3:44 AM PST

thank you sir,

i used a safety pin, and my sanity has returned!

happy new year!

Collapse -
Razr Dust - Easy Fix
by kendash / May 8, 2007 5:06 AM PDT

Thanks very much! Dust problem fixed in less than a minute

Collapse -
WARNING!!! with the "easy fix"
by wakemeupat8 / September 17, 2008 1:02 AM PDT

it is an easy fix for this seemingly common problem, however, while sliding a pin, or razor blade under the edges of the screen to remove it, be extremely careful not to nick or even cut the "flex cable" or cord that is like a flat wide black cord centered behind the top of your screen. I must have accidentally done some damage to this flex cord and now have a terribly distorted screen. Be careful! By the way, I know a good option is to replace the phone. Of course, if I could afford that route, you wouldn't be reading this, and I wouldn't be writing it.

Good luck with all that!

Collapse -
dust in the glass
by activeskies / January 22, 2006 1:24 AM PST

i have a month old razr and it has started collecting dust under the glass. most of it is noticeable when the screen is off, but some also when on. i can't imagine how much would be there after a year.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I have the same problem
by iax / January 23, 2006 4:04 PM PST
Collapse -
dust under the internal display
by cherhhh / February 7, 2006 6:31 AM PST

i discovered dust which i think is dust under my internal display after having my phone a little over a month and a half I called motorola for warranty but come to find out if they replace your phone it will most likely be a refurbished one which makes me mad because mine is new and i want a new one to replace the old one i discovered this dust while cleaning fingerprints off of it. anyhow i read another post where someone said to take it to verizon wireless because they have a motorola tech working in their store so i might try that first good luck

Collapse -
replacement due to dust inside screen
by mariojerez / February 7, 2006 9:02 AM PST

I have a cingular account. my razr had a lot of white dust under the main screen glass. i called them and they offered to send me a replacement phone. they did tell me that it could be a refurbished phone. i have the replacement phone, and to be honest, it looks, feels, and smells like new. i compared the firmware versions and i've got a newer version. refurbished phones usually get new shells, and come under more scrutiny than new phones. odds are tha a refurbished phone will work as advertised more often than a new one, simply because not every new phone is tested for quality control. every refurbished phone is worked on individually. anyway, that is my theory... good luck.

Collapse -
Good call
by rcast1986 / February 7, 2006 10:53 AM PST

Wow, Mario, good point. I never even thought about that...when I called the first time about my phone I was using my actual phone since there was no one else around with another one, and the lady said that to help me I'd have to use another phone. So a couple days later I called again and they keep telling me things like that they can't replace it which is bullcrap. So then I insist that they can and then they 'transfer' me, and then I get hung up on. So yeah, that's happened twice and I'm getting real fed up with it. I guess I'll just have to go to a store nearby or something...

Collapse -
click to cancel
by jbroshear / February 28, 2006 10:56 PM PST
In reply to: Good call

when you call, follow the menus for cancelling your account. you'll get to the "save" desk -- they are empowered to keep you

Collapse -
Dust in Display
by jlbkjb / February 23, 2006 12:06 AM PST

I have experienced the same problem on at least 2 RAZR V3's. I called my carrier (Cingular) on the first phone and was told that it is a faulty gasket and the phone was replaced under warranty.
The replacement phone also became aflicted with the same problem after only 2 weeks. I now have my 3rd phone and so far so good. I do not store the phone in a dusty atmosphere and carry it in my pocket.
I will keep requesting replacements from Cingular until I get one that is O.K.
I have had 6 or 7 Motorola phones in the past and none of them had this problem.
I would suggest you contact your carrier to see if a replacement is available.
GOOD LUCK!

Collapse -
Same problem with two RAZRs
by giggles-n-giddy / February 27, 2006 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: Dust in Display

I've had the same problem with two RAZRs from T-Mobile. I'm having a third shipped to me.

Collapse -
Dust & the Motorola V3 Razr
by snowboard1 / March 13, 2006 8:51 AM PST

Amazing - I work in construction and I carry my V3 both in my pocket and clipped to the shoulder strap of my work overalls. I work in dusty environments, both indoors and out, and I haven't had any problem with dust under the display cover of my V3 Razr from T-Mobile.

I always carry it in a horizontal leather case, but the case doesn't completely cover everthing, it's open at the top. Sometimes I carry it in an older Ericsson T-28 horizontal leather case which does pretty well cover the whole phone with a flap.

I wonder if the previous poster who mentioned the defective gasket could be right. I recommend using a carrying case and maybe you won't have the dust-under-screen problem.

I'm really surprised to hear this because of my working conditions. I've had my V3 for almost 6 months now and I carry it everyday.

Collapse -
dust under main screen motorola V3
by sattcom / February 28, 2006 5:33 PM PST

hello, yes i have the same..realy annoying...how to get rid of it ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?