Phones forum

General discussion

Motorola Q or Palm Treo 700w?

by jerome8283 / June 24, 2006 4:14 AM PDT

Which offers a better package? I'm looking for phone, email/web and camera.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motorola Q or Palm Treo 700w?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motorola Q or Palm Treo 700w?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Close call...
by John.Wilkinson / June 24, 2006 9:46 AM PDT

It's a close call between these two smartphones as the both feature the same basic specs (processor and memory) as well as the WindowsMobile OS. The differences between them is that the Motorola Q has a higher quality display while the Treo 700w wins the battery life war...the 700w gets over a half hour more talk time (4.7 hours vs 4 hours) and is supposed to have considerably longer standby time. (15 days vs 4 days, though the Treo 700w fell short in Cnet's testing.) Considering the price of the two units the Motorola Q is the better deal, provided you don't need to go days without charging it.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
I tried them all
by robstak / June 26, 2006 2:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Close call...

I just got the XV6700 2wks ago. I was thinking the same thing. Treo700w or Q for weeks to months before the Q came out. After all the hype, I've since used all three phones. But to answer your question... Between the 700 and the Q, it depends on what you want to use it for. For business, serious typing and internet usage, id go with the treo. the treo also has alot more accessories and support thingies. and actually, the treo uses windows mobile 5 and has a touch screen, while the Q uses windows smartphone edition and doesnt have a touch screen. the treos almost twice the price tho!

In summary, if you want a good phone get the Q if you want a good PDA/PIM get the treo (or the XV! I love it!)

Either way, go to the store, play with each (you can make calls from the sample phones usually),plus verizon lets you try out any phone for 15 days. If you dont like it you can just return it and get a new one. Also 100 bucks off the phone if you get the unlimited data plan.

any other ?'s lemme know! hope this helps.

Collapse -
Q
by newtomac / October 5, 2006 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: I tried them all

Q hands down...best smartphone out there

Collapse -
Maybe a little change in OS
by Qosmio / June 28, 2006 1:02 PM PDT

jerome give the treo 700p a try.I went from wm to garnet and have had excelent speed @ proformance.the 700p is much more stable then it,s little brother 700w also adding a better keyboard and screen resultion compared to the moto Q.E-mail no proublem.you can sync microsoft/outlook
I prefer sprint over verzion.verzion likes to put the handcuffs on there devices leaving you in bad shap when it comes to tethering
Good luck on you new device

Collapse -
I just asked myself the same thing
by bderou2 / July 1, 2006 12:15 AM PDT

Hi Jerome!
I just had to go through the same discussioin with myself. My "new every 2" was up on the 28th of June and I had been drooling over the 700W ever since they came out. Then as things got closer, wouldn't you know it...out comes the Q! Geez...more decisions. After much aruguing with myself, I decided to stick with the Treo 700w

I can tell you for me, the deciding factor was 2 things:
1. the Q runs the SmartPhone operating system while the Treo runs the full=fledged Windows Mobile 5. As I did my research,for me, the BASIC difference is that Smartphone OS can view all MS office documents but you can't work on them. I saw on a writup somewhere that it may not display those documents quite right either.

2. The Q didn't have a touchscreen while the Treo does. I just saw that as a potential problem.

What was a consideration, but I decided to check it out anyway was the screens. The Q says it has a better resolution (240x320, I think) while the Treo has 240x240. Write-ups say the Treo's screen is 'washed out'. Well...I held both in my hands and I sure as hecked didn't see the difference. Maybe it was slightly...and I emphasize *slightly* better, but the difference was so minute, I couldn't tell the difference.

A couple of things that come to mind. On the Verizon site, you can do a side by side comparison using their "compare" option. That may help you. On thing, however...Verizon lists the Q as having national access while the treo...not. I asked what that meant and they said if go into an area that only has access to the slower data network, the Treo won't access that. Well...that's wrong. I took mine just the other day on a trip and part of that trip was in a 1x area, and it worked fine. Also the site lists the Q as having an MP3 player while the Treo - it says 'na'. I asked about that and they said you can play the Q straight from the internet and the Treo, you have to download the MP3s. I still dont' know what the heck they were talking about. I put all my music on my storage card and it plays using WM10 just fine.

You mentioned email/web and camera. I suspect both the 700 and the Q will be pretty much neck-and-neck there. I didn't understand it at first, but now that I got how Verizon handles the email, I like it a lot. I've set up my gmail account to go to my Treo directly, but I can access my home email anytime I want. Verizon also has direct push technology that is also available for your POP3 accounts too. I thought that was cool, but I don't particularly need that.

One of the posters also mentioned the 700p. That's an option, but I've had a PDA with the Palm OS before and I didn't care for it. You can put "Documents to Go" on the Palm to be able to work with Office documents, but that's a 3rd party app. I liked that WM5 deals with them nativley, I also read that you can't multitask with the PALM OS, but I can't verify that for myself.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but when I saw this question, I thought..."yeah, I jsut went through the same thing. So it all boils down to what you want from your smartphone. Personally, The Treo 700w was it for me!

Hope this helps a bit!

Bruce

Collapse -
non of the above, But...
by oludir / October 5, 2006 2:17 PM PDT

the XV6700 or the PPC6700 offers a better alternative than the motorola Q. With windows mobile 5.0 and everyting the Q has to offer but with wifi. I returned my motorola Q for the verizon wireless XV6700. I have no regrets for my decision.

Collapse -
I also forgot to add
by oludir / October 5, 2006 2:22 PM PDT

you get microsoft office with powerpoint on the XV6700. No need to buy a third party application. I also have no need to sync my outlook with my phone since I configured the mail client on the phone to connect through wifi to my gmail POP account and download the mail authomatically whenever I have a wifi connection or have my phone connected to my pc. This is great cos I do not have a data plan with the phone.

Collapse -
Q vs Treo700wx
by nooccar / May 26, 2007 1:50 PM PDT

I was surprised by this post because I just went through this last week. I've had the PPC6700 through Sprint for a year now, and I've really liked it. Yes, it did break 4 times; and I had the insurance (who wouldn't buy it with a $500 phone?!). Anyway, this time when it broke (Radio missing) Sprint told me they didn't carry my phone anymore and offered me a Treo 700WX. My friend has a Q and I like how slim it is, but I was hesitant about the non-touchscreen. I know if you've never had a touchscreen, then you probably won't miss it. But I had.

I mulled over Q vs 700 for days before taking my 6700 in for exchange. And I finally decided to go with the 700WX simply because it was twice as much. I figured if I hated it, I could sell it on Ebay and buy the Q. One thing people told me I'd hate about the Q is the browser. It scrolls link by link rather than by page. This becomes a huge issue.

So I got my Treo 700. It was a little bigger than the PPC6700, but I like that it has a cool built in lock system, and it comes preinstalled with Windows Voice Command (which I had to pay for when I had my 6700). I had the side buttons on the 6700 that I could program for things like Voice Command, and the Q only has one side button and you have to edit the registry to change it.

I also noticed that the 700WX is SMOKING FAST on the Internet and comes with a cool program called On Demand that bundles all my local settings (movies, sports, etc...) so I don't have to go into the web browser to get that info. And if you're a GPS kinda person, then this phone is for you. I know the resolution isn't as awesome as some others, but I don't want video on my phone and hasn't noticed anything different from the 6700 (although the Q does have better resolution - I won't disagree with that) but it doesn't sound like you care about that (as I don't either).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?