Phones forum

General discussion

Motorola Phone Tools

by REOgal157 / April 9, 2006 11:49 AM PDT

I purchased Motorola Phone Tools Version 2.0 a little over a year ago for my Motorola V400 camera phone from ebay (software, usb cord included).

I upgraded my phone (and plan) yesterday. The phone I purchased is a Motorola V555 phone.

From what I understand, the Motorola Phone Tools is supposed to update to be compatible with a new phone.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the software with no luck as the software comes up with a phone that doesn't look like the one I purchased and I could sit here all night with it saying ''initializing'' and a little icon that means ''no modem installed''.

As far as the ''no modem installed'', my phone is internet capable -- I was downloading ringtones yesterday and by the service bars it has an E with what looks to be two little s's below it, meaning it's internet capable.

What do I need to do to get this working?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motorola Phone Tools
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motorola Phone Tools
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
use "live update"
by Havoc_BF2 / April 10, 2006 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Motorola Phone Tools

I also purchased the 2.0 version of mobile phone tools for my Motorola V710 off Ebay with the USB cable. I just ran through the install on a second machine so I could see what you are seeing.

I canceled out of the initial detection of my phone as it sounds like you did too. Now I'm looking at the phone UI and it says "initializing."

You need to click the center "menu" button on the phone. Then go to "Setup" and "Live Update."

It will go through countless updates as it moves from version to version. It needs to be babysat with the occasional "Next." I think it took almost 2 hours for mine to finish with its updates to "4.0.4b 12-1-2005." But, it *does* work after all that.

Unfortunately, it's dissapointing what it can't do. I've only used it to copy my address book. I'm not getting a Motorola again. This software and cable should be shipped with the phone. Just another negative for the Motorola V710 with Verizon.

Good luck!
Keytree

Collapse -
Thanks
by REOgal157 / April 10, 2006 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: use "live update"

Thanks it worked great....only took 30 minutes, if that.

With my phone, I've put pics on my computer and also used some pics of friends I have that were on my computer and put them on my phone for the "ringer picture".

I did some online searching and Motorola wants $49.99 for Phone Tools 4.0 ....it's on ebay for $12.99 total ($10 shipping included).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.