PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Motorola Netodragon modem and Windows XP

by Gary335 / September 18, 2005 9:13 AM PDT

I'm trying to install a Netodragon modem in a system running Windows XP. For some reason though, the Windows XP driver that is on the cd which was included with the modem does not work. Does anyone know of any issues with this modem and XP? Is there a working XP driver I can download someplace? I've looked around the web a bit but nothing I've found there seems to work either. Any help is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motorola Netodragon modem and Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motorola Netodragon modem and Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My Experience, also.
by Stan Chambers / September 18, 2005 10:13 AM PDT

I tried that three years ago, and it didn't work for me. Unless they have issued a newer driver that will work since that time. (Doubtful)

The software that I had claimed to work with xp also, but no way.
Return it for a refund if you can, or chunk it out the window. I've had good luck with Best Data Modems.

Collapse -
My Experience, also.
by Gary335 / September 18, 2005 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: My Experience, also.

I've had it for quit awhile, so I doubt its still returnable. It'll probably end up going out the window. Thanks for your help though!

Collapse -
by Gary335 / September 19, 2005 3:42 AM PDT

Anyone else have any ideas?

Collapse -
by Gary335 / September 19, 2005 10:46 PM PDT

I still need help with this if anyone has ay ideas.

Collapse -
By the numbers
by Willy / September 20, 2005 12:04 AM PDT

Here's what I've done:

First, for my benefit what does the box say it is, in all specs?

Find out what "chipset" the modem contains, like Motorola, Rockwell, 3Com, etc and then what the numbers are on usually the large IC on it. That way you discover via googling what drivers become "generic" to it. this can be frustrating and sometimes fruitless, if the modem itself is just bad. Plus, if this is an int. modem, make sure the IRQ is available for use. Under the "diag" section of the modem h/w listed, try to at least see if it responds and lists its AT setting.

If you can't seem to get it to work, then it's bad, incompatible, or poorly driven. Put your effort into a new modem, many are had at $20 or less.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
2nd reply...
by Willy / September 20, 2005 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: By the numbers

Here is a link that may help and explain what that chicpset is about and known problem(s), note the rev.# of driver release.

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/smartlink.asp

Once, you get the new driver, unpack it into a floder and note where it is. Make sure you de-install the current driver, then power down, remove that modem. Reboot and allow system to finish, once done, do a shutdown. Re-install the modem, and upon system seeing new h/w(modem) point to the new driver folder and allow it to install or follow procedure of new install if better, then do this last step.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
By the numbers
by Gary335 / September 20, 2005 4:37 AM PDT

I tried googling the number on the chip, but none of the drivers turned up by the search worked.

Collapse -
Get latest driver
by Willy / September 20, 2005 5:20 AM PDT

The link I provided, seems that the modem is a real clunker of sorts. XP SP2 may cause further problems but the modemsite provided some details on how to correct for that. If you can't get a response by using the modem diags->mor info, then consider the modem, kaput. It may work better is win9x system vs a XP one. Did you try the latest driver ver4.x?

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Get latest driver
by Gary335 / September 20, 2005 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Get latest driver

Yes, I have tried the latest version of the driver, and it did not work. I know the modem is fine because it was in a different system for a year and it never had a problem. I know the problem lies in the software. I think the modem would have been recognized instantly by ME or 98. Oddly enough, I put one of these modems in another system running XP, and the driver installed without a hitch.

Collapse -
Try another PCI slot
by Willy / September 20, 2005 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Get latest driver

Since, you're dealing with more than one modem, the problem modem maybe kaput. It happens, take the working one in another system and then place the problem one there and check results. This is waht you get when you accept or take things for granted, you have to prove all points. You may want to try another PCI slot move away from the one you're using now and go through the re-install process but only after uninstalling for a cleared registry in order to mount it aagin.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Try another PCI slot
by Gary335 / September 21, 2005 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Try another PCI slot

The modem is just fine. Of that I am sure. I'm almost positive that its a software problem, not a hardware problem.

Collapse -
Driver
by Stan Chambers / September 22, 2005 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Try another PCI slot

As I said before, they don't have a driver that works with XP.
When I experienced this (3 years ago), there were many stories going around about this same issue.
So unless they have issued an updated driver, which is unlikely, it's not likely to work.

Collapse -
Encore Modem Model # ENF 656 - GSW - NDPR - Netrodragon V92
by hokumyew / April 4, 2006 2:14 AM PDT

Dear Gary,

You can solve your problem by obtaining the exact driver you want from the actual manufacturer of the modem circuit board that you have, which is "Encore Electronics, Inc.", and not the chipset manufacturer, which is: "Netrodragon" and its MDV92XP - XHCT700000B chip. The actual manufacturer of the Encore Modem Model# ENF656-GSW-NDPR is: Encore Electronics, Inc., and the company is located at: 18003 Cortney Ct. - City of Industry, Calif. 91748 - Ph.(626) 964-9678. Their website is:
http://www.encore-usa.com

and the literature page concerning your modem is on:
http://www.encore-usa.com/product.php?id=36&lang=

- and the software "drivers" download page that you want is:
http://www.encore-usa.com/driver.php?id=36&lang=

I hope you get this message and if you do - Please
e-mail me and let me know the outcome of your modem installation project, because I have one of those modems, also. I'm going to try to hook it up so that I can take advantage of the V92 design standard, so as to be able to receive "incoming" telephone calls while I'm simultaneously on the Internet. It's a cheap way to get by with just one phone line - provided that (or if) it can be made to work.

Best of Luck, in your project!

David_Wells_53@Yahoo.com

Collapse -
Com ports
by billzhills / September 20, 2005 1:49 AM PDT

Gary,

I've been using Encore modems for the last year with the Intel or Agree chip set. A few systems in the 500 Mhz range would not install the drivers correctly or if they did install the modem would not work. I incorrectly thought the modems where optimized for use with XP SP2 and would not work on the older systems.

The Encore modems use com 3 and only this port, on BIOSs' that locked the com ports to 1 & 2 the modems would not install correctly. By re-setting the BIOS to auto detect or setting one port for com 3 these modems installed correctly.

May not apply to you, but something to check.

Bill

Collapse -
Com Ports
by Gary335 / September 20, 2005 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Com ports

It was preset for COM1, so I changed it to COM3, but that doesn't seem to have solved the problem.

Collapse -
(NT) try com 4 - 2
by billzhills / September 20, 2005 10:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Com Ports
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?