Phones forum

General discussion

Motorola E815 or Samsung A950?

by brownbutgreen / March 2, 2006 10:35 AM PST

I want to get a new phone with a MP3 player. I'm currently a Cingular costumer, First, Should I switch to Verizon. Second, if I do I want either the Samsung A-950 or the Motorola E815. I like both phones, but don't know which ones I should get? Any Ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motorola E815 or Samsung A950?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motorola E815 or Samsung A950?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well....
by mobilegeek05 / March 2, 2006 11:07 AM PST

I'd say stick with cingular unless you're getting a better plan with verizon. Verizon is a BREW carrier where as Cingular is J2ME (java). Since verizon is BREW there aren't as many developers for content and the content that is provided (as far as i can tell) is "closed garden" (has to be approved by the carrier).

Cingular is open garden so if you want to download games and ringtones it's much easier to do so. Plus cingular is GSM so its simpler to upgrade your phone, just swap the sim card. with CDMA carriers (like verizon) you have to call up their customer support.

should you still decide on verizon i'd say go with the E815. Its motorola so the OS is much better designed in my opinion and it has a PC sync feature. the samsung sch-a950 didn't really impress me that much. But both phone are very simlar and its really just a judgement call on your part tho. i'd say have the people at the verizon store boot up one of each so you can mess around with the menus a little before you buy either.

hope that helps
-Nick

Collapse -
are you using a motorola or a samsung today?
by babesmac2003 / March 5, 2006 2:38 PM PST
In reply to: well....

trust me. if you're used to the way your current phone works, and you don't hate it, you won't want to switch brands.

Collapse -
why are you switching carriers?
by jbroshear / March 6, 2006 9:50 PM PST

You ask if you should switch, but you don't say why. Are you dropping a lot of calls or something?

Collapse -
given..
by madeformotorola / March 2, 2006 11:24 AM PST

what are you looking for in a phone ?? e815 is great, samsungs are garbage

Collapse -
I'm looking for...
by brownbutgreen / March 2, 2006 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: given..

I definitely want a MP3 player and a good camera. But as far as service goes, is Verizon better or is Cingular?

Collapse -
signal
by wliang / March 2, 2006 1:37 PM PST
In reply to: I'm looking for...

i guess it depends where you are located.verizon is good here in sacramento, CA. when it comes to dropped calls, verizon has the least of any carrier

Collapse -
Cingular least dropped calls
by tbenzinger / March 9, 2006 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: signal

wliang, I actually just heard that Cingular has data indicating IT has the fewest dropped calls. As you said, though, location is probably more important.

Here in DC, my service is fine.

Collapse -
Mp3 phoneyou'll love
by hondalovr / March 9, 2006 8:45 AM PST

Hey buddy, im gonna save you 175.00 because im gonna give you important information.First off,you dont need to switch to verizon for anything.Im a former verizon customer and just to let you know,that's why I left them in the first place.The fact that their mp3 phones suck.
I have Cingular now and the phone is Sony Ericsson's
Walkman phone the W600i.It'll blow any music phone out the frame when it comes to music ,even an iPod,for real.
Don't terminate you're contract,trust me.It even has excellent reception everywhere.Comes with everything you need;headset,usb plug & software.Get it ,you'll love it.

Collapse -
agree with hondalovr
by jbroshear / March 12, 2006 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: Mp3 phoneyou'll love

I don't endorse the idea of selecting a phone primarily for its mp3 player capabilities, but if that's your criterion, then the W600 is the best of the lot right now

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.