Samsung forum

General discussion

Motion Blur LN46A650

by ln46a6502008 / December 1, 2008 11:54 AM PST

Hello,

I recently purchased an LN46A650 and also a BD-P1500. Picture quality etc...is fantasic. Auto Motion Plus(AMP) is great for watching sports but for movies to me it makes things look like a soap opera so I turn it off. Problem is that motion blur appears which I know is typical of LCD technology but I have a couple of questions.

1. Does the 1080p24fps help reduce motion blur when AMP is turned off?
2. Will turning off DNR help reduce motion blur when AMP is turned off?
3. Is there any other settings that will help reduce motion blur when AMP is turned off?

These are my current settings for watching movies:
BD-P1500
1080p24fps

LN46A650
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 5
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 20
Color: 50
Tint: 50/50

***Detailed Settings***
Black Adjust: Low
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Auto
White Balance: Default (all at 25)
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enchancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

***Picture Options***
Color Tone: Normal
Size: 16:9
Digital NR: Auto
DNIe: Off
HDMI Black Level: Normal
Film Mode: Off
Blue Only Mode: Off
Auto Motion Plus 120Hz: Off

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motion Blur LN46A650
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motion Blur LN46A650
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some answers...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 1, 2008 4:04 PM PST
In reply to: Motion Blur LN46A650

ln46a6502008,

Thanks for your purchase of Samsung products, and I always appreciate kind words and hearing that people enjoy our products.

1. The 24fps will divide evenly into 120Hz. AMP will process the picture and improve it (in many cases), but some motion blur will remain, depending on the source content.

2. DNR may make a slight difference in that application.

3. Not really. AMP processing will improve the motion displayed on the LCD panel, but if that's not working for you, I'm not sure what other suggestions I would have to reduce that. Make sure that your content (DVD, Blu-Ray, Cable box, etc) is outputting at the highest resolution possible.

If you are watching 24fps content, you might turn "Film Mode" to "on" for the source that will be taking advantage of that 24fps content.

Hope that helps. Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Motion Blur / Ghosting
by ln46a6502008 / December 1, 2008 5:25 PM PST
In reply to: Some answers...

Thanks for the quick reply. I have some more questions if you do not mind.

1. What does film mode actually do? I tried to get it to work on any mode, dynamic, standard and movie but it stays greyed out and after reading the manual its only supported in 1080i and not 1080p unfortunately Sad
2. Not sure if I am getting confused but are ghosting and motion blur the same thing?
3. What effect would DNR have on motion blur or ghosting while watching a movie? Hopefully turning it off will help a bit. (at work so can't try it yet)
4. Could firmware need updating?
5. It is also my understanding that even with AMP on it is still possible to have motion blur/ghosting?
6. Would anything like say dynamic contrast affect motion blur or make it more noticeable?

Sorry about all the questions, kind of new at all this as you can see, thanks again.

Collapse -
New Issues
by ln46a6502008 / December 2, 2008 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: Motion Blur / Ghosting

I have tried everything to resolve this ghosting/motion blur issue I am having but with no luck. Tried different inputs, cables, settings, firmware and HD sources and same thing, ghosting/motion blur. I said ill leave it be for now and try some gaming on my 360 which is hooked through component running 1080p. I was running it on standard mode with AMP on turned on when I noticed my rectule would break apart and I have really bad input lag. I switched AMP off and the issue with the recule breaking up was fixed and then the motion blur came back and the input lag was still there. If I set it to game mode its better in regards to the motion blur but not by much and the input lag is still there. This is becoming extremly frustrating since I really like this TV. I am not sure if its just my luck and this TV is defective or what? Mr. Samsung or HD Tech any ideas?

Collapse -
Answers:
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 3, 2008 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: Motion Blur / Ghosting

I'll try and addresses these the best I can.

1. Film Mode is a setting designed for VCR and regular, progressive and upconverting DVD players to improve the picture quality. It won't work with 1080p signals because it would be redundant to process a 1080p source to 1080p since it would already be present.
2. The terms are loosely definied. Some people interchange them, so the best way I can understand is explaining what you see.
3. DNR is Digital Noise Reduction, which will improve a rough input (usually associated with SD feeds). It is designed to boost weak broadcast signals received by the source feed.
4. Firmware updating is definitely recommended. There are some Auto Motion Plus advancements in subsequent updates.
5. AutoMotion Plus is a processing technology. It could be possible to have some, but the spirit of the technology is to reduce those very issues.
6. The Dynamic setting is what some jokingly call "torch mode". Most people, unless they have an abundance of light in the environement, would probably never use it. That said, motion blur would not necessarily be more evident on that setting. Now if you're referring to the toggle "contrast", no that would affect picture brightness, but not how the picture was handled - at least in this case.

I'd recommend the firmware update and see if that doesn't clear up some of these issues. That can be found and downloaded here:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDown.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=lcdtv&model_nm=LN46A650A1F&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=FM&vType=L&prd_ia_cd=02010100&disp_nm=LN46A650

Don't be sorry for the questions. We're here to answer and help. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDMI
by ln46a6502008 / December 3, 2008 1:34 PM PST
In reply to: Answers:

Ok this is my last resort other than getting a samsung tech to my house and looking at the TV since matter what I have tried there is still ghosting/motion blur and now input lag. I was told HDMI cables come at different speeds etc...now, is it possible that my HDMI cable that is I would say is about 2yrs old now to be causing these ghosting issues if its not HDMI 1.3a and possibly not a high speed version?

Collapse -
Worth a try...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 4, 2008 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI

HDMI is digital, so in most cases, either the HDMI will work, or it won't. There may be very little degree of picture quality difference with a different cable, but it's worth trying.

Don't feel the need to purchase an ultra-expensive cable to fix the issue. Some are marked as "120hz", which is redundant, since none of the sources available today issue a source 120Hz signal.

Hope that helps, and keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Tried Everything
by ln46a6502008 / December 4, 2008 11:51 AM PST
In reply to: Worth a try...

So I went out and bought two new HDMI cables one that support 120Hz and one that didn't, neither we very expensive and I do not see a difference lol, you really got to love what these HDMI companies are doing to try and see these things some are like $300 its funny. I have also tried to turn off AMP but that does not help. I have a feeling I may be to picky about the motion blur/ghosting thing, seeing as a couple of TV's at my local future shop had a bit of motion blur/ghosting themselves and its just and LCD issue that will most likely get better with time as different technologies are introduced. Maybe there will be a firmware update (I am at the latest v2007) that could assist the processing of the picture, who knows, I appreciate all the suggestions and thanks again.

Collapse -
No Trouble at all...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 4, 2008 7:29 PM PST
In reply to: Tried Everything

ln46A6502008,

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to find a solution. Some people are extremely sensitive to certain things; motion blur, color saturation, or the like. If you're unhappy with your purchase, allow me to be the first to say that I'd rather you be a happy customer than dissatisfied with our product. I mean that sincerely, so for what it's worth, decide appropriately.

Cables can sometimes make the difference, but in most cases with HDMI, you're either transferring a digital stream of 1s and 0s, or you aren't. Component is different, but that's another topic.

$300 cables? That's for the rookies! Try THESE prices:

http://most-expensive.net/audio-cables

Humorous, but true. But I digress.

If you happen to come across a solution, let us know. Again, welcome to the forum!

--HDTech

Collapse -
TV
by ln46a6502008 / December 5, 2008 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: No Trouble at all...

Trust me, my TV is not going back. I love it! Its something I just need to adjust to. Oh, and those cables $40,000+ nice find lol. Thanks again!

Collapse -
motion blur
by lukster5 / December 3, 2008 6:37 PM PST
In reply to: Motion Blur LN46A650

your user manual recommends that if you experience motion blur to turn the feature off, also it depends on the signal source, if the handshaking don't sync up then you will experience this, sometimes the signal source will not sync up, it is the protocol issue

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!