Computer Help forum

General discussion

Mothorboard and RAM compatability

by alixjames / June 16, 2007 2:37 AM PDT

I have a Medion PC - mothorboard is MS-7042 - online checks say I have RAM slots but actually have 2. DDR dimm PC3200 256mb in there at the moment. Bought this...

1 x DIMM 1GB DDR 400MHz, PC3200, 2.5V, Non-Parity, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, 184-pin

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY 128 X 64, 16 chips, HIGH DENSITY

Manufacturer: NCP
Module no: NCPD7AUD0-50M8A NC 02061

Fits in the slot ok although it is shorter in height once installed that the existing 256mb RAM. I put this down to being newer technology hence they made it smaller.

When I run the PC with the new memory in it just goes to a error screen asking for safemode or windows normally amongst other things..whatever I click it just restarts the computer..cant get into Windows. Have tried the 1gb in both slots alone and with the 256mb...no joy. Any reasons why?

Surley if I have bought DDR DIMM pc3200 400mhz then it should be ok??

Appreciate any help, reagrds, Alix

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mothorboard and RAM compatability
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mothorboard and RAM compatability
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just looked at the manual and you won't be happy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 2:55 AM PDT

It's likely you will lose your DUAL CHANNEL RAM feature by sticking in a single stick of ram. I won't answer what DUAL CHANNEL is since you can google that but the speed loss may make your next question be "Why is my machine slower with more RAM?"

I'd look to getting a pair of memory sticks.

Since you only have 2 slots, I'd get such in pairs at the SAME time. Mixing sticks may not work for DUAL CHANNEL operation.

Bob

Collapse -
only 1 dimm in from purchase
by alixjames / June 16, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

Thanks Bob for your help - my computer is only running 1 stick at the moment anyway..it only had a 256mb dimm from purchase.

I will try the method suggested in the 2nd post, thanks.

alix

Collapse -
If this was mine...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 5:49 AM PDT

I'd get a pair of 512MB's and let the DUAL CHANNEL speed kick in.

Bob

Collapse -
I might look at doing this..
by alixjames / June 16, 2007 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: If this was mine...

If this option is going to be faster I might go for this instead of the 1gb option. Thanks for the heads up

Collapse -
Maybe dual channel not available
by alixjames / June 16, 2007 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: If this was mine...

I just read around on a few sites and it seems that dual channel might not be available to me...as I think the 128*4 memory is dual channel....the 64*8 that I need isnt so I can make out. so would this mean my best option is to just put as much is as possible?

Collapse -
Only one item for me to write yes or no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 6:10 AM PDT

I found the motherboard manual so it all depends on the CPU now. Almost any Pentium 4 should kick it into gear.

Bob

Collapse -
P4?
by alixjames / June 16, 2007 6:15 AM PDT

You mean the motherboard does have dual channel support?

Im only running a Celeron 2.8ghz on it at the moment :s

Collapse -
You can see it in the manual or...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: P4?
Collapse -
Last question..honestly!
by alixjames / June 16, 2007 6:32 AM PDT

Before I call it a day..if I'm changing processor...am I able to just swap them and everything will be fine..plug and play so to speak. Or do I have to change heatsinks/fans etc.

Thanks for all your help guys on here...priceless!

Collapse -
I've done this but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 6:45 AM PDT

I always fit a new heatsink and fan since 99% of the time the old pair is often the wrong size for the job and the fan has about the feeling of an 120 thousand mile Chevy.

Bob

Collapse -
suggestion
by ramarc / June 16, 2007 3:09 AM PDT

ddr400 is compatible with your motherboard. remove the old 256mb and try putting the 1gb in dimm slot 1 (slot furthest from cpu). make sure the slot is clean and dust free. start the pc, enter your bios, and choose fail safe defaults. (i found your mobo manual at the link below, but it doesn't have any bios reference so i can't tell you specifically how to use the fail safe defaults.)

http://forums.cnet.com/5224-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=252580&messageID=2515937

Collapse -
Just Curious...
by Urzu 07 / June 16, 2007 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: suggestion

I'm just curous, but why sould he go from 512 Meg to 1 Gig? If you installed a New program like "Quickbooks" for Example, it may have cuased a problem when he changed from 512 to 1,000 Meg. It happened on my computer, but it could also be as simple as what "Ramarc" Suggested. Tell us if it didn't work though.

-Urzu Out

Collapse -
running 256mb!
by alixjames / June 16, 2007 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Just Curious...

Hi guys, im running 256mb at the moment. It was unclear in my first post...I said I had 2 dimm slots...not 4 like I had been told when doing an online check. Then I went on to say I had a 256mb dimm installed. Im currently looking through the manual for the motherboard online and then going to try find out how to access the bios.

Regards, Alix

Collapse -
What do you mean...
by Urzu 07 / June 16, 2007 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: running 256mb!

What do you mean looking for the "Motherboard" "Online"? Do you mean that you don't know what it looks like? (Too bad I never finished my computer class, we were going through how to mantinence your CU. T_T)

-Urzu 07

Collapse -
:0
by alixjames / June 16, 2007 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: What do you mean...

Yeh Ive had the case off and know what it looks like I was just checking to see if the manual (as I dont have a paper copy) tells me anything about the memory that I am missing...as it happens it doesnt really.

Collapse -
I wouldn't Expect...
by Urzu 07 / June 16, 2007 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: :0

Yeah, I wouldn't expect the Manual to tell you what would happen if you changed volume of your "Random Access Memory".

(I meant to type "CPU" in my last post. :P)

-Urzu 07

Collapse -
solution possibly?
by alixjames / June 16, 2007 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I wouldn't Expect...

apparently I need 64x8 not 128x4

Collapse -
What do you mean...
by Urzu 07 / June 16, 2007 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: solution possibly?

What do you mean "Apparently"? Did you find that in the Manual or did somebody tell you that?

Collapse -
:)
by alixjames / June 16, 2007 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: What do you mean...

Ive just been told by someone who sells memory. I wasnt aware of this before I bought it so clearly I have bought the wrong thing. There was no reference to this in the motherboard manual either but its the only explaination I have really.

Collapse -
Be careful...
by Urzu 07 / June 16, 2007 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: :)

Tell me what company this is, a lot of people like to rip you off when it comes to this stuff. It's a complicated field and people usually listen to them because you're going rto spend $500 and have the wrong thing somehow or you need something else. Just ask a lot of question and you'll be fine.

-Urzu 07

Collapse -
seller details
by alixjames / June 16, 2007 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Be careful...
Collapse -
Not sure...
by Urzu 07 / June 16, 2007 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: seller details

The First one looks a bit better because you should be able to track it by that code on it, but I'm not sure. The second one was used I think, but I can't tell.

They are BOTH "1 Gig DDR" 1 RAM PC 3200" but they are difrent designs themselves. They both should work for your PC, but I Don't have a U.K. computer like yours.

Collapse -
thanks
by alixjames / June 16, 2007 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: seller details

Thanks for all the help with this..I will look into it and hopefully get something working. The 1gb I bought and the original 256mb are bother DDR pc3200 400mhz dimms so it confusing. I guess it is down to the 64*8 thing or something about high density and low density.

Regards, Alix

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?