by craigc187 / April 19, 2014 1:54 PM PDT

Ok i have a custom build that worked fine untill one day it wont turn on

Motherboard tforce4 am2 ver 1.1
3 ghz processor duel core
Windows 7 64bit
2 IDE 40 gb hard drives
1gb pcie 16x GeForce gts450 evga
4 gb ram 800 mhz 3 sticks one 2 gb stick two 1gb sticks

I think it might just be a bios problem but i cant find anything on this motherboard online i have the 1.1 version that can go up to 8 gigs of ram the other ne only goes up to 4 gigs of ram but if anyone wan explaing how to flash the bios really think it will do the trick because when i push the power button the cpu fans spin but no picture and no hard drives pin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motherboard wont post bios. please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motherboard wont post bios. please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Won't turn on meaning
by Jimmy Greystone / April 20, 2014 12:25 AM PDT

Won't turn on meaning you press the power button and absolutely nothing happens or you press the power button and some fans start running but not much else?

Collapse -
wont boot
by craigc187 / April 20, 2014 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Won't turn on meaning

Fans spin but nothing else

Collapse -
In addition to Bob's ideas
by Jimmy Greystone / April 20, 2014 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: wont boot

In addition to Bob's ideas, this is a pretty classic symptom of our old friend bad caps (google it).

Collapse -
Answer
Is this that old NFORCE system?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2014 2:16 AM PDT

If so, start reducing parts. An IDE failure along with all the usual can cause this such as a low CMOS battery.

Get out your Volt meter and tell me what Volts you read on the battery and all PSU legs.
Bob

PS. It's an old system and I'm making an assumption you repair PCs.

Collapse -
no its a biostar tforce4 am2 ver 1.1
by craigc187 / April 20, 2014 4:57 AM PDT

I have tried removing everything down to 1 stick of ram and removed the ide drives
Because i know the bios should still boot with out a hard drive

As for the battery i could not remove it and i did not want to break it

Collapse -
It's broke.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2014 5:29 AM PDT

I can't break stuff that is already broken. Also if you never changed the CMOS battery and this looks to be well over 5 years old, then it's a possibility.

As to BIOS, we can go for beeps. No RAM is needed for a board+cpu to beep in protest of no video card, ram, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
wont boot
by craigc187 / April 20, 2014 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: It's broke.

I dont see anything on this motherboard like a small speaker or leds is it possable this motherboard is unable to beep?
I will try the battery again

Collapse -
If it's missing the speaker we add it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2014 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: wont boot

When it's that broke, we don't go for BIOS screens. We go for beeps. Keep in mind that THE DEAD PC is all over the web so I assume you use that if you are new to troubleshooting old PCs.
Bob

Collapse -
replaced battery
by craigc187 / April 21, 2014 12:54 PM PDT

After i replaced the battery on the motherboard and try to boot it i saw a red led over by the pci slots

And i have looked all over the web for help before i posted here

Any one know how to flash the bios??

Collapse -
To flash the BIOS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2014 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: replaced battery

We never guess how. We head to the motherboard/system maker's site and follow their directions. I doubt it's a BIOS issue unless there was a prior failed attempt. I can't tell if you went for beeps or checked the BAD CAP issue and more.
Bob

Collapse -
ver 1.1
by craigc187 / April 21, 2014 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: To flash the BIOS

I have tried that and could not find anything for the 1.1 version
I would never of posted here if i could find it on my own

Collapse -
Let others see what you see.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2014 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: ver 1.1

If I search for the motherboard support page I might get the wrong page. I missed where you shared that page so let's see a link.

And if it's not documented then we call the maker. Some don't like that but that's how the industry works.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Old parts or PC scenario
by Willy / April 22, 2014 1:28 AM PDT

Quick note, the fan spins for a moment then it stops? If so, then replace the PSU or Google bad caps as suggested. Next, a quick test is to unplug the AC cord, wait 15min. and return plug, try it then repeat but wait 30min. or overnight and retry. If it still won't start, then possible the mtrbd. is fried or broken in some way excluding other bad part(s). the point being, if as others suggested its 5yrs. old, then it saw better days and any repair in on you as well as cost which won't be cost effective. On top of all this having 2-IDE 40gb drives is really pushing it power wise and overall PC because these are dated too and thus time to move on. Understand, if you find a bad device, replace but the mtrbd. being so weak could take down any so-called new replaced(used or not) because it has been compromised due to wear&tear. You can play all you want, but dragging old parts foward has a price, they do break and may take something else with it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?