Computer Help forum

General discussion

Motherboard ticking, Video Card Failure.

by Kyle Naut / January 27, 2009 8:28 AM PST

Hello, I posted here about a month ago about this same problem, and essenteally gave up on my search for an answer when my hard drive corrupted my Windows Files for the second time.

See, whenever I boot up the PC, I hear a ticking noise, which seems oddly like a "on, off. on, off." tick. I'm almost positive it's coming from the motherboard, as the hard drive was replaced, brand new, and the problem still occurs. It does it about 8 times, and the lights on the CD drives flicker each time. After these ticks, the system goes into POST, beeps once, then goes about normally, except the video card does not work. Strangely, however, the onboard video card DOES work. BUT THEN, when I take the video card OUT, it "tick"s once, like an "on" tick, then beeps, then it works like normal.

Well, if you can call it normal. Sometimes when I was doing nothing but listening to music and surfing the web, the machine would hiccup, but still function, as if it's just stopped reading the hard drive. the hard drive light stops, the music stops, and I couldn't do anything other than scroll up and down the page. After a few seconds though, it would unlock.

When the video card stopped working, I took the PC into the repair shop, and got it back after christmas. They "said" they tested the power supply, found no problems, and all they did to get the video card working again was re-install it. When I got it home, it DID work... except the startup.sys file on Windows XP was apparently corrupt and I had to reformat. After 2 restarts, the video card went caput again.

At first I thought this was just a software issue, 4 years can do a real number on a system, so i just reformatted. But then, it happened again... So I just left it, and figured I'd fix it with a new hard drive and video card. And here I am, with a (thinking it is) a malfunctioning motherboard, a basically useless video card, and a brand new shiny hard drive currently formatting in the other room.

Last time I was here, some suggested that there might be a bad capacitor. I'm not 100% on it, but I looked over the motherboard and found no abnormal looking caps. The repair shop also said they did tests on the power supply and there's nothing wrong with it...

So, assuming it's the motherboard, is there a simple way to fix this problem, or do I have to replace the motherboard? Or... is it even the motherboard at all?

Any input is appreceated, and I look formward to hearing what the bright minds on CNet have to say on this issue. Thank you.

I'm back, however, because I finally went out and replaced my Video Card AND hard drive, and while the hard drive seems to be working fine, the dedicated video card still does not display, and the ticking still occurs right on bootup, before post.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motherboard ticking, Video Card Failure.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motherboard ticking, Video Card Failure.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.