General discussion

MotherBoard tester

First im new to the post thing so if I am in the wrong form I am sorry. I was wondering if there is a way to test a motherBoard or a tool I can buy that will tell me if one is good?
The reason is as followed i have a nice motherboard that has just a power supply and processer and thats all. I dont have alot of cash and before i buy RAM ,HDDs, and all that i want to see if it works so if anyone knows of a way to test it or a place i can buy a tool for that I would be greatful. Thank you for taking time to read my post.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: MotherBoard tester
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: MotherBoard tester
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry, never heard of such a tool. But adding any

compatible RAM and almost any video card would allow you to check the basic functionality.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Hmm....forgot about a POST CARD but fortunately or otherwise

I've never had much occasion to use the one I have.

Still recommend using the stick of RAM, GPU and test it live.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Yes, I've seen such.

But all they do is confirm the board is dead. For your troubles you paid 1/2 of what the replacement board is.

I hear what you are asking but given the story we don't have much hope of guessing what died.
Bob

- Collapse -
Nope

As the other posters offered, there really isn't anything to really test or get it going as if it was ready for a system. basically, what you want is the "manufacturing ability to test" a product as in quality and testing control. That of course, is far beyond an end-user. If there was a tool. it would have long been advertised to sell.

If this a new mtrbd. then you need to complete it for a system end test as in "whole" or basic PC. Then run the "burn-in tests" for such. If this is an old mtrbd. then what you rely on is experience and the simple test of a PSU connection a spkr. and no cpu and see if it wails. Overall, if you have a problem mtrbd. just replace it, cost is cheaper that way when you consider time and effort put in. Store the old mtrbd. and return to it when you have the components to build a basic simple system. It can become your test system.

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info