PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Motherboard Suspect

Hi All. I think I have a problem with a motherboard that I hope you can help me with. I bought the motherboard, CPU and memory as a secondhand bundle that I was assured was working. Here are the specs:

M/B - Asus A7V8X ( not MX ) FSB333MHz
Processor - Athlon XP2200+
Memory - 512MB DDR333
Graphics Card - S3 Savage Pro 32Mb PCI

I've tested the CPU, memory and graphics card independantly in another machine and they seem to be working fine. The motherboard power LED lights up and when I switch on the main power switch everything seems to kick in ( drives, CPU fan etc ) but then nothing happens! The screen remains blank ( the monitor doesn't even come out of standby mode and switch on ), but more worryingly, I don't get any BIOS beeps, just a couple of electrical clicks coming from the speaker! I've left it on for a good few minutes but still no joy. Any help greatfully appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Salvatore.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motherboard Suspect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motherboard Suspect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PowerSupply????

In reply to: Motherboard Suspect

What's the wattage of the current Power Supply? If it's not at least 400 or better, you could have just enough oomph to get the fans on and nothing else. Older powersupplies just can't handle newer hardware and the four things you mentioned (video, ram, cpu, and motherboard) are pretty powerful items all by themselves.

Disconnect the drives and make sure no networking cards, printers, etc. are hooked up yet, and see if there is enough power in the supply to run just those four items.....and make sure your motherboard doesn't have a separate video connector (on-board video) and that you don't have your monitor plugged into the wrong one, which might also be why you don't get any beeps yet, because the motherboard can't figure out which one to use so it doesn't see any error in the video (which would be three rapid beeps in a row).

One long beep normally indicates a RAM issue...but you may be have a bad slot that the ram is in, so try it in another slot instead since you tested it already in another system and it appears to be good.

Last thing I can think of is check the motherboard manual to see if it's an 'auto detect' type for the CPU settings or if you actually have to set it manually with dipswitches or jumpers.

Oh yeah.....make sure you don't have any mounts under the motherboard from a previous board that aren't lined up exactly with this 'new' board as it might be shorting out the board. If you find any, remove them completely and only use what you need for this board.

TONI

Collapse -
Motherboard problems..?

In reply to: PowerSupply????

Thanks for the reply! The PSU is 400W. I've only got one HD and the graphics card connected. The motherboard has no onboard graphics. I've tried the Ram in the other slots, but no joy. The shorting issue is interesting, someone else mentioned taking the motherboard out of it's case. I'll give that a try.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Motherboard Suspect

In reply to: Motherboard problems..?

OK, here?s the results:

Components ( see original post for specs ):
CPU, PCI graphics card, memory, PSU 400W. All tested independently and working fine.

Setup:
Motherboard outside case on anti-static material ( no shorting problem ). Mouse and keyboard plugged in.

Testing:
Cleared CMOS. Powered on with nothing on the motherboard ( apart from CPU! ). Then tried all combinations of slots for PCI graphics card an all slots for memory.

Result: No change from original symptoms.

I?ve yet to try an AGP card but don?t hold out much hope. I?ll try this as a very last resort before I send the boys round to the sellers address? ;o)

Collapse -
Anti static material is a CONDUCTOR

In reply to: Motherboard Suspect

you want it on plain cardboard.

Probably not the reason for no change in symptoms, just a fact of life.

Collapse -
Motherboard problem solved!

In reply to: Anti static material is a CONDUCTOR

Hi All! You won?t believe how, but I managed to get it working..! After clearing the CMOS and not getting any joy, I made the assumption that the CMOS had correctly reverted to it?s defaults. I was also pretty damn sure (99.99%!) that all the components were 100% ok and there weren?t any compatibility problems with the motherboard and components. The only thing left in the chain was the flash rom itself. Just for laugh I levered out the rom chip and cleaned all of the contacts on the chip with a bit of emery paper. I shoved it back in, turned on the power and hey presto, that single BIOS beep was music to my ears, and she booted up! After 4 days of headaches, all it turned out to be was a dry contact..! ;o)) One to make note of..!

Thanks for all of your input,
Salvatore.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanx mucho for letting us know.

In reply to: Motherboard problem solved!

Collapse -
Ah ha ha...........

In reply to: Motherboard problem solved!

I hate when stuff like that happens. Well here's hoping that the guy that sold it to you thought it was crapped out and you got a good deal.

Collapse -
Motherboard problems solved..!

In reply to: Ah ha ha...........

Ah ha ha.. indeed! I am in the process off resolving the issue with the seller...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.