PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Motherboard Problem?

by MallaAllan / July 27, 2009 10:06 AM PDT

Hello. I'm pretty good with computers and have built quite a few. But I can't afford to replace many more parts on this thing so I'm trying to figure out the most likely problem.

It's a EMachine T6420. The problem is sometimes when you press the power button, it turns on for a very brief moment, and shuts off. And if you press it again, it turns on, but nothing shows on the screen. All the fans and hard drives are on. And after playing with it for a while, it eventually turns on and boots to windows. But when I turn it off, same thing.

At first I thought bad ram because of the brief shutdown. tested ram and it works. Then I thought overheating. Applied new arctic silver and the heat readings were normal. So then I thought maybe it's the power supply. I bought a new power supply and replaced the power switch to no avail.

So now it's either the motherboard, or a processor. I doubt, very much doubt it's the processor. Maybe I missed something, maybe it's stupid. Who knows. That's why I'm here.

The power button blinks when it shuts off after the brief shutdown.
Any help would be great. Thanks Happy

If it helps, sometimes the light blinks on the

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motherboard Problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motherboard Problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds more like the power supply
by Steven Haninger / July 27, 2009 8:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard Problem?

Bad RAM and other hardware failures tend to generate beep codes. But, a power supply can fail to start...or remain started...due to an overload. While I've not seen this personally, there was an issue with bad capacitors that's known to cause such. You'd check MB for capacitors that bulge or show leakage.

Collapse -
Google this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 9:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard Problem?

BAD CAPS

Now look at the pictures online to see tilters, leakers, swollen and other signs of this issue.

The SYMPTOM you wrote about are typical of BAD CAPS as well as a power supply that needs replacement.

-> When you inspect the machine the BAD NEWS is that BAD CAPS can be in the power supply which is hard to inspect and even on CARDS that some forget to check.

The capacitors must be PERFECT. I've found some tell me "it's only a little deformed" and that's a failure.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.