HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Motherboard Not Boot

by pdcjlw1 / October 17, 2006 11:55 AM PDT

I've got an Intel D945GNT motherboard and a Pentium D 2.8 Ghz processor. I've also got two sticks of DDR2 memory at 533 MHZ. I am not able to get any video or even any post beeps out of the motherboard. I've even bought a motherboard diagnositc board to try and read any post codes, however I don't get any. I do see the cpu fan twitch when I turn on the power and the 3.3v light blinks, but that's it. I don't have any drives attached to the motherboard. I've replaced the motherboard, cpu and memory. I've even tried to boot without memory just to see if I could get any type of post code.

I've tired it with the motherboard mounted in the case and out of the case. I've even tried different cases.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motherboard Not Boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motherboard Not Boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) check PS cables, may have open, bad/bent pin
by acoxon1274 / October 17, 2006 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard Not Boot
Collapse -
Bent Pin.
by pdcjlw1 / October 18, 2006 11:32 AM PDT

I dont have any drives hooked to the motherboard yet. I am still trying to just get the first beeps out. I did check the pins though and they look fine. None are bent or anything.

Collapse -
make sure the 4 pin 12V processor power (E) is attached
by ramarc / October 17, 2006 11:49 PM PDT

i've got the same board. the 'twitching' happened to me when i accidentally attached a 6-pin lead to the 4-pin lead (item E on the mobo layout, page 12 of the manual).

Collapse -
Power check
by pdcjlw1 / October 18, 2006 11:27 AM PDT

I have tested my power supply to make sure the supply is good. On my motherboard the power connectors are both labeled 13. I have both connectors plugged in. The power connector cloest to the cpu has only 4 connectors. That power connectors are plugged in correctly.

Collapse -
test with a different power supply
by ramarc / October 18, 2006 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Power check

when the cpu fan flickers then stops, the cpu is not getting the proper power. since you've replaced the cpu, mobo, and memory, the power supply appears to be the problem.

Collapse -
changed parts?
by acoxon1274 / October 18, 2006 1:12 PM PDT

?I've replaced the motherboard, cpu and memory.? ?I've even tried different cases.? In your main post is this what was replaced?

Motherboard replaced with new one? So that means BIOS went with the MB.

CPU replaced with new one?

Memory replaced too?

Changed cases so the power supply changed too or did you move it?

If you changed all these items than maybe some item is not compatible with the other parts. Re-check all the part specs and cross check with the motherboard manual. Any questionable mismatch of spec to requirement called for by the motherboard manual is the most likely suspect of the fault.
The parts being supplied are defective to start with. Perhaps the manufacturer is unaware they are making motherboards with the wrong or defective BIOS (or some other main component). Contact the manufacturer as directly as you can and inquire with serial number, bar code numbers, model number plus revision number, (from the motherboard itself) and date plus where purchased.
If any item above was not changed, it is the most likely suspect of the fault. Example if the power supply was not replaced, then that might be the fault.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.