PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Motherboard not beeping :-(

Hi. I've just sold a motherboard to a friend, and he's just called me saying it's not working. The motherboard is a Biostar M7TDF, with award BIOS, 256mb DDR SDRAM, a P4 1.7ghz and an AGP graphics card (not sure what).

When turned on, everything lights up and the fan whirrs, but there's nothing on the screen and the motherboard doesn't beep. What's wrong? Is it the motherboard, the CPU, the RAM, what? I really need to know this so that I don't have to give him a refund, and of course to retain his trust.

Any ideas anyone?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motherboard not beeping :-(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motherboard not beeping :-(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Motherboard not beeping/if it worked before....

In reply to: Motherboard not beeping :-(

If this was working for you, something went wrong with the installation. It may or may not have been a fatal error. No beeps or post activity might suggest a bad power connection. Do you know if the board has an LED for the control voltage and does it come on? It's not uncommon for there to be a short circuit on the non component side of the board if there is a stand off that has no screw hole in the MB for it. The installation needs to be inspected closely. You can also strip the installation to just the essentials (CPU, video and RAM) to begin ruling things out.

Collapse -
Re:Motherboard not beeping :-(

When faced with a non-beeping board, I strip it down to motherboard, CPU/HSF, power supply and the speaker. If it beeps I build it up.

But before all that, consider that transport can cause a board to come unplugged (partially or ???)

With the power off, reseat all the parts that you can.

Be sure that you have a better than average power supply and that the reset button has not become stuck in the depressed position. Hint: Unplug that from the board.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Motherboard not beeping :-(

Is the motherboard correctly conneted to the case speaker so you can hear the beeping?

Try it with only memory, processor and video card in it, nothing else plugged in but a floppy drive. Did you supply the board with memory that worked for you, or was it added?

Look for a short to the case, try using the board on a piece of cardboard with just the minimal components installed.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Motherboard not beeping :-(

In reply to: Re:Motherboard not beeping :-(

Hi. Thankyou all for your suggestions. I'll pass them on to him when I see him tomorrow. We've tried it with just the memory, processor and video card, and still no joy. I'll see if I can find another case speaker to see if this one's faulty.

Thanks again! I may be back if I can't get it to work Wink

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Motherboard not beeping :-(

In reply to: Re:Re:Motherboard not beeping :-(

I had the same problem

You may have ESD ur processor or the processor is not compatible to the mb. Or the mb bios is not up-to-date to handle the processor

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.