Computer Help forum

General discussion

Motherboard help

by jgross1 / December 31, 2004 6:28 PM PST

I recently built my first computer and I cannot get it to boot. I get the following error message "No drive attached to fast track controler, The biosis is not installed" I'm stumped. I can enter the biosis and all my drives show up there. Why can't I get past this error message? My hardware is as follows, Assus P4PE Deluxe Motherboard, Western Digital 80 gigabite harddrive, Lite-on 52x32x52 burner, and no floopy drive. I have checked and rechecked all my cable connections on the motherboard to no avail.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motherboard help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motherboard help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
did you install mother board drivers?
by Mark5019 / December 31, 2004 7:42 PM PST
In reply to: Motherboard help

as windows dosnt do that

Collapse -
Re: did you install mother board drivers?
by jgross1 / January 1, 2005 1:09 AM PST

There is an Asus motherboard disk that I have inserted many times when Irebooted to no avail.

Collapse -
Sounds like you are not installing the current drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 1:17 AM PST

What's on the CD will be out of date some 99% of the time.

Be sure you don't have spyware or a worm either. For instance, XP and XP SP1 owner fall into the worm trap too quickly since they connect to the internet to go get SP2 or other patches and get into issues much like you write.

Bob

Collapse -
About the message. It's not an error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 1:19 AM PST

" get the following error message "No drive attached to fast track controler, The biosis is not installed" I'm stumped. "

It's informing you of a fact, not an error.

Bob

Collapse -
Check
by Stan Chambers / January 1, 2005 2:36 AM PST

Double check the hard drive connection. It should be connected to the ide channel on the mb. Usually the blue connector. If not connected properly, you would get such a message.

Collapse -
Re: Check
by jgross1 / January 1, 2005 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: Check

Confirmed connection. Hard drive is connected to the blue comtroler slot.

Collapse -
Motherboard drivers
by chuckieu / January 1, 2005 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Check

You mentioned putting the disc for the Motherboard drivers in the CDrom, but did you actually INSTALL the
drivers for your MOBO? Also, be aware that these discs often have the drivers for several MOBOs, choose the the ones for your exact board. After installing the drivers, which will be for your chipset, audio, USB 2.0, and maybe
video, then you can look for updates for same. chuck

Collapse -
Re: Motherboard drivers
by jgross1 / January 1, 2005 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: Motherboard drivers

How? I can't get past this message. As far as my documentation goes the included disk will reinstall the bios, which I have tried, and contains drivers for raid which I am not going to use. I can,t even boot to install windows yet.

Collapse -
That's a new clue for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 4:11 AM PST

That you can't boot the XP CD is a clue that something can be broken in the new/old hardware.

A common cause of this is bum RAM or hard disk.

Here's the test...

If floppy -> remove the IDE cables from all IDE devices and attempt just a dos diskette boot. DOS diskettes are over at http://www.bootdisk.com HINT!! Run win98se.exe. Some will copy said file to a floppy which... will not boot.

If CDROM drive only, remove the hard disk and try a CD boot with your XP or 2000 CD.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: That's a new clue for me.
by jgross1 / January 1, 2005 4:25 AM PST

There is no flopy on this computer. I don't beleive it is the HD because it works perfectly fine in the computer I am using now. From doing a google search I beleive my motherboard is looking for a HD in the conector for a sata drive. My HD is an IDIE drive and is attached corectly to the idie controler.

Collapse -
That is what stops people from fixing their machines.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 4:35 AM PST

They make such assumptions and won't do the needed test to find out.

Usually I just wait until it sinks in that the test is easy and can reveal what to do next.

Good luck with this.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:That is what stops people from fixing their machines.
by jgross1 / January 1, 2005 5:43 AM PST

Ok!I here you. With no hard drive windows will start to load. With harddrive I can't load. What do I do next?

Collapse -
I think I see the picture now. Thanks for the test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 8:20 AM PST

"With my harddrive installed and reconized in bios I get as far as "Windows could not start normally...." My CD Rom is set as the second boot device and it will not start installing windows. If I remove the harddrive as R. Proffitt says it will start to boot."

Coupled with your test results, I see the usual issue.

The hard disk has a prior install of Windows. Windows (almost every version) doesn't like moving. Let's change the CDROM to the FIRST BOOT DEVICE so you can boot the XP CD and do a repair or a new install.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: I think I see the picture now. Thanks for the test.
by jgross1 / January 1, 2005 11:26 AM PST

I now have the CD drive set to boot first. When I get to the part about repairing or reinstalling windows it says it can't detect a hard drive. When I go into the bios my hard drive shows up there. How do I proceed from here.

Collapse -
Try DISKPART.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 11:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Try DISKPART.
by jgross1 / January 1, 2005 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: Try DISKPART.

Let me clarify what I am trying to do. I have build a new computer using a new motherboard, cpu, memory, and cd drive. For budget reason I am using the same hard drive and video card from this computer which is a Western Digital 80 gig When I try to install windows on the new computer that is where my problem is.

Collapse -
Then start over on the 80GB?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 12:09 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Try DISKPART.

If one moves a hard disk from one machine to another, sometimes they do that.

You may have to triple check that the drive is on the right 80 conductor cable, Cable Select jumper and on the Primary IDE channel.

At about step 5 of the XP install as noted at http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm you can delete the old partition, create new and begin as if it was a blank hard disk.

Bob

Collapse -
Here is what ASUS has to say...
by Edward ODaniel / January 1, 2005 5:53 AM PST

Q:

Collapse -
Re: Here is what ASUS has to say...
by jgross1 / January 1, 2005 6:09 AM PST

Thanks for the info. Disabling promise controller in bios got rid of the annoying message. However the fact remains that I am trying to use my present harddrive. With my harddrive installed and reconized in bios I get as far as "Windows could not start normally...." My CD Rom is set as the second boot device and it will not start installing windows. If I remove the harddrive as R. Proffitt says it will start to boot.

Collapse -
I'm not sure that.....
by Haole / January 1, 2005 6:47 AM PST

I know your problem, but don't you have to have a floppy drive hooked up to boot?

Hope I'm not miss leading you.

Collapse -
Re: I'm not sure that.....
by jgross1 / January 1, 2005 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: I'm not sure that.....

I do not have a floppy drive hooked up to boot from.

Collapse -
Guess I wasn't..
by Haole / January 1, 2005 7:03 AM PST

clear enough!

I THINK YOU HAVE TO HAVE A FLOPPY DRIVE "INSTALLED" IN ORDER TO BOOT!

Please, someone tell me if I'm wrong!

The Haole

Collapse -
Re: Guess I wasn't..
by jgross1 / January 1, 2005 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: Guess I wasn't..

I have two freinds that have computers without floppy drives. I guess you are wrong.

Collapse -
Sorry
by Haole / January 1, 2005 9:58 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Guess I wasn't..

about that. That's why I asked to be corrected.

Collapse -
Booting from....
by S Barringer / January 3, 2005 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Besides the floppy drive, some mobos can boot from the CD-ROM, LS120, ZIP drives, etc. Depends upon the motherboard. Check in your manual.

Collapse -
Western Digital CD
by BenGrimm / January 3, 2005 7:58 AM PST

I recently built a comp. with asus p4p800-e mobo and WD hard drive. I got the same error too. The hard drive comes with a CD that should help. If you haven't done it already, check the jumpers on the back of the HD. For my 120Gb WD single is no jumper, master is middle, and slave is right of middle. It's been a few months but if I remember correctly I didn't install the mobo drivers till after the WD CD. Hope you get it working soon.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?