PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Motherboard help...

by ytxty / December 23, 2006 6:40 AM PST

Im looking to upgrade my motherboard/processor, preferably on the cheap side to be compatable with a 160gm sata/300 hard drive i recently bought for $20.

My current computer is about 3 years old and is as follows:

Epox 8rga+ Mobo
http://www-old.epox.nl/english/products/motherboard/8rda+.html

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ processor

512mb cheap ram pc3200 DDR400

128mb ddr AGP 8x NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 XT OC
http://www.bfgtech.com/5900XT.html

Im having a hard time finding a motherboard that I will be able to keep all of my current hardware and use my new SATA/300 HD. Does anyone know of a Mobo that supports SATA/300, DDR400 RAM, and AGP 8x??
The best i can find is a mobo that supports all my current hardware but only SATA/150. I also have heard of SATA adapters but i cannot find one that supports SATA/300.

Any opinions would be appreciated as to what i should upgrade. I would like to stay under a $200 budget if possible but any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motherboard help...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motherboard help...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Believe it or not you
by Ray Harinec / December 23, 2006 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: Motherboard help...

are simply running out of options. I just went through this. The basic systems are all going to DDR2. I searched Newegg and Tiger for such a mobo, but it seems DDR2 is the kicker.

If all you want to do is use the SATA drive, don't kid yourself it will not acheive anywhere near that speed, so live with 150. I just discovered that, at least for WD and Seagate, the 300's need a jumper to run it at 150. The jumper comes defaulted to 150 with Seagate, but WD requires you to place the jumper.

If you go to newegg and select mobos they have a whole bunch of options that you can set and then search for a mobo that meets all that you have selected. Don't be surpised if it doesn't find any.

I don't use eBay, but possibly there.

Collapse -
Loook what i found...
by ytxty / December 23, 2006 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: Believe it or not you
Collapse -
Is your CPU a socket 939???
by Ray Harinec / December 23, 2006 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: Loook what i found...

I thought that it was the socket A.

Collapse -
(NT) Original post indicates 'motherboard/processor'
by VAPCMD / December 23, 2006 10:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Yep, I missed that, else I would have sent him
by Ray Harinec / December 23, 2006 10:20 AM PST

a link to the socket 939 mobo that I bought last week, except that mine is a full ATX.

Collapse -
You are right
by ytxty / December 23, 2006 10:25 AM PST

My old board is socket A.. I figure if i want to upgrade my mobo im going to have to upgrade my processor too...

That asus Mobo i found on newegg has mixed reviews, so im still debating what to do..

Collapse -
Here is another
by ytxty / December 23, 2006 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: You are right
Collapse -
Think that I never thought that you would use
by Ray Harinec / December 23, 2006 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: You are right

the desire to use a SATA drive at its rating would justify such an upgrade, thus I missed that you were willing to replace the CPU.

IMHO if you are spending that much, make the upgrade a total package.

I just bought the ABIT KN8 Ultra v1.1 last week. I always go full ATX mobos, get a lot more features and growth possibilities.

Let us know when you make the final decision.

Collapse -
I know what your saying..
by ytxty / December 23, 2006 11:13 AM PST

Im not up to date with the technology that is out there right now. Im really happy with my current setup, but need more hard drive space. I had the chance to buy a 160gm SATA/300 Hard drive for $20 and i figure that if i upgrade now or later i wont likely get a better deal. Rather than just looking at the Hard drive i thought i could find a cheap mobo/processor combo for ~$150 and not totally upgrade. Im in college so i dont exactly have what it takes to make a significant upgrade. Kind of in a tough spot on what to do... I guess my other option is to just pick up another ata hard drive, and upgrade sometime down the road.

Collapse -
Why don't you just get an adapter.
by Ray Harinec / December 23, 2006 11:51 AM PST

Again running it at 150 GBs is still at the top speed of the PATA 133.

If the drive deal is legit, remember Seagate and WD drives are now usually 5 year warranty, why not use it with an adapter.

When you get a system with 300 Gbs support simply remove the jumper to allow it to run at the full rated pedd.

Collapse -
I assume that you have an
by Ray Harinec / December 23, 2006 12:11 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?