Question

MotherBoard equivalent for Older Generation Computers

Firstly, I apologize if this is the wrong place. My question is what is the equivalent of Motherboard in the older generation computers (like the 1st Gen computers) ???
I heard it was vacuum tubes. If so, I would like to know how they performed the function of a motherboard.
Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: MotherBoard equivalent for Older Generation Computers
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: MotherBoard equivalent for Older Generation Computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
We called it a backplane.

If you looked at very early computers that used tubes, they often had a rudimentary backplane. Later these advanced to such as the VMEBUS http://duckduckgo.com/?q=vmebus+backplane and for the personal computers the S-100 was very common.

With the Apple 1 you see the beginnings of the motherboard where the computer was small enough to be put directly on the backplane.

Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Ancient Greek s had computers

There were no mtrbds. in the tube era. If anything these were dedicated devices, etc. that did a task in/out or to process. Those computers that were mechanical and/or before anything transistors were mostly in the 50-60's era. There were modules at best or wirewrap to include backplanes, black boxes or PCB's mounted on busses which are concidered backplanes. Also, tubes found on older computers may have been power related rather than logic.

Google for computer museums, even WWII era ultra enigma decoders. However, don't confuse analog computers to what was the 1st electrical or non-mechanical type computers.

http://www.computerhistory.org/

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums