PC Hardware forum

General discussion

motherboard cant detect new PCI card

I have an Intel 915GEV motherboard that appears to be operating normally. It detects some cards just fine, but not my Linksys PCI wireless network adapter.

At first I thought the Linksys card was dead, so I returned it and got a new one. Well this one doesn't work either. I've tried it in multiple PCI slots (including one that I know works for another card), and I get nothing. The card does not show up in the device manager, even when I tell it to search for new hardware. The install software won't run without the card detected.

A) is there any sort of known problem with these newer Intel boards and Linksys cards?

B) what are the odds that I got two defective cards in a row??

C) is there any sort of manual way to force this thing to work without relying on the autodetect?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: motherboard cant detect new PCI card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: motherboard cant detect new PCI card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a SWAG or two

In reply to: motherboard cant detect new PCI card

Odds of 2 bad cards, very low. You did use static protection didn't you? Happy

If not, then you could have blown the boards, admittedly unlikely, but still possible - especially in winter when the humidity is lower, and less likely to "bleed off" the static buildup.

Check for BIOS updates for your Motherboard, plug and play may not recognize the board if it came out after the BIOS (for configuration purposes). However, I'm reasonably certain that it should show up in the PCI scan that flashes by late in the boot sequence.

There can be voltage compatibility problems in the PCI bus. Older PCI boards used +5 volts, newer ones use +3.3v. (some will auto sense, and use either) There is a slot key that prevents plugging in the "wrong" board, but since it was a late breaking add-on I'm believe that it won't prevent all cases of incorrect installation. Likewise for the 66Mhz key.

Collapse -
hmmm....

In reply to: a SWAG or two

interesting ideas.

I tried updating the bios. Didn't help, but probably good thing to have done anyway.

The card wants 3.3V, but I can't find a spec on what voltage the PCI bus is trying to source. How can I tell? I went through Intel's web site and literature with no luck ... can you tell by looking at the board????

Collapse -
red herring

In reply to: hmmm....

I'm afraid my concern about voltages was a red herring in this case. It's a new MotherBoard, so it certainly should provide 3.3v, and you said thats what the card wants, therefore voltage is probably not the problem. Of course, if all your other PCI boards used +5... But I wouldn't chase it very hard. Sorry, but I'm out of ideas. You don't have another system to try it in do you?

Collapse -
MB Not working with wireless nic

In reply to: red herring

Ok ya know whats crazy? I'm having the same problem...

I have an old Aptiva though PII 350 512megs of ram, 40 gig running Windows XP PRo. I've installed regular NIC's no problem, but I actully have 4 different kinds of Wireless NIC's (I'm a PC TECH) And the PC/WINXP won't detect ANY of them! It picks up all the regular NIC's no problem, but when it comes to the wireless... forget about it! I'm lost... I'm updating BIOS now, if that doesn't work i'm out of Idea's!

Collapse -
I gave up!

In reply to: MB Not working with wireless nic

I quit. I returned the card to the retailer (Thanks again Dell for your forgiving return policy!). I'm planning on taking it into my local PC repair joint and make them put in a card.

I tried updating bios, by the way. I got nuthin.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.