General discussion

Motherboard, BIOS, and/or Video Card Issues

Here's my problem, as it happened:
If more hardware information is required, please ask.

It started when a windows update ran and tried to install after reboot, and then the screen went black and didn't come back. I restarted it and then after that it never went to boot (I could tell because I just had to tap the power button to turn it off as opposed to holding it down for a few seconds). I assumed that meant the BIOS was bad so I reset that as much as I could but nothing worked.

I bought a new, exact model as I had been running, motherboard, switched every component onto the new board, and nothing displayed on the screen, but i could tell it had booted underneath, because i had to hold the power button down to turn it off. I figured this meant the video card must be bad, so i popped in a different video card that I had and it worked fine.

If the video card had been bad then I wanted to return the new motherboard if i could, and continue using the old one, so I switched back to it, putting in all the same hardware but using the video card that had just worked on the new motherboard. Nothing displayed.

I take this to mean that something had happened to the original motherboard that fried the video card that I had in it and also fried the PCIe slot itself. I haven't retried the new motherboard with the working video card to make sure the bad motherboard didn't fry it as well, but while i have the original motherboard in, I would like to see if there is some way to confirm whether that slot is bad, or if something can be changed to fix it. I think it's a shame to just trash a $100 motherboard if something can be done to fix it.

What I'm looking for is some way to at least access the BIOS or the computer to make sure that the hardware is functioning properly, but without a display, I can't troubleshoot very well. What should I do?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Motherboard, BIOS, and/or Video Card Issues
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Motherboard, BIOS, and/or Video Card Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Please only post if you want to help.

Thank you.

- Collapse -
Nobody?

If anybody has any information that could be useful it would be much appreciated.

- Collapse -
DEFINE: WORDS IN RED

For all parties interested, the term WORDS IN RED is just an extremely condescending way of asking for specs. Where one might normally say..

"Specs?"

... others may choose to use an abstract and arrogant term to make you waste your time figuring out what is wanted of you.

- Collapse -
If someone can help you

then they will reply to your post, there's no need to keep reposting, with no added specifications.
On that note; I will gladly help all I can, but I need more information about the components you are using.

1) Motherboard (make and model #)
2) Video card (same as above)
3) RAM (manufacturer, type {DDR2/ DDR3?}, amount being used)
4) Power Supply-make, wattage
5) Hard-Drive (same as info as for mobo, video card)
6) CPU (Intel or AMD, model #)
7) O/S (Windows XP, Vista, 7-32 bit or 64 bit)

Note: Be as specific as possible about the parts/ software you have (including BIOS version), and I will try to help as much as I can.

B.

CNET Forums